Thread: WMP 12 file associations - where?

WMP 12 file associations - where?

I am trying to set Windows Media Player 12 file association in my Windows 7 PC due to some reason but when I got to Control Panel > Default Programs > Set Associations I can’t find any option here for WMP. I have been trying to find this out since 6 months but dint got it yet.

Can anyone here please tell me where does the file association for WMP 12 reside under Windows 7? All helps appreciated.

Re: WMP 12 file associations - where?

As far as I know setting WMP player as default will set it default for all the file types it knows about. BTW you should have posted your problem so that we could provide better help or some alternative for the same.

Thanks for your help and suggestions Hawkin but that wasn’t my question. And as you asked for more info, here it is. What I was trying to say is when we go to Options > File Associations we can associate any specific program for a particular file extension, right? I want to do the same for WMP but there doesn’t seems any option in WMP 12.

I think that area is where everything's being centralized, rather than having say Real Player, QuickTime, Media Player and so on, all managing the same file associations - which used to cause a lot of headaches for users on these newsgroups. The old XP file association system is really broken/limited – people (developers) had problems all over the place. The new system isn't the be-all end-all, but its light years better.