Thread: WMP 12 (Windows 7) won't play WRM'd WMA files

WMP 12 (Windows 7) won't play WRM'd WMA files

I have a desktop running with Windows 7 and WMP 12 and a laptop with Windows Vista and WMP 11. Yesterday I downloaded few books and uploaded to MP3 player which is working. I even tried them on my Laptop (Vista) and it works fine even there. But when I try playing them on my Windows 7, I get the following error message:

“Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file”

I clicked Web help to get some help on this error and it redirected me to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/C00D11B1. It says to check device manager for any yellow mark and to update the drivers. Well, I have done all these things already. I don’t have any problem playing WMA files that I create or non WRM'd WMA files from other sources. But why this is happening in Win 7while it is running fine in Vista?

Any idea?

Re: WMP 12 (Windows 7) won't play WRM'd WMA files

Alrite, just visit this page http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/...en/indivit.asp and see if you are able to click the “upgrade” button available there. Make sure to visit it in Internet Explorer only for better results. This will analyze your system and let you know about the problems itself.

Once you click on upgrade (if it is clickable) the you should see a message like this in few minutes:

"Progress Status : The security components have been upgraded successfully. To play protected files, restart your digital media player. If you cannot play protected files after restarting your digital media player, restart your computer"

This sounds very much like the same problem I'm getting.

I'm using WMP 12 on Windows 7 & although audio files will play fine, whenever I try to play video files, such as AVI or MP4 I just get screeching sounds reminiscent of those produced on a dial-up modem / fax.

However, when I play the same files on other media players, such as Real, Nero or QuickTime they play fine.

What's even more confusing is that everything seemed to be ok until some recent Windows Updates were installed.

The obvious solution would seem to be to just use another media player, which is what I'm being forced to do at the moment, but I have always preferred WMP for my video files (although I prefer WinAmp for audio).

So far I have tried installing the latest FFDShow Codec Pack, in case that was the problem as well as reinstalling WMP, but with no effect.

I will advise you to install the Windows 7 Codec which is a supporting file for the codec which might be lost or deleted from the system due to any reason. This codec files supports amr, mpc, ofr, divx, mka, ape, flac, evo, flv, m4b, mkv, ogg, ogv, ogm, rmvb, xvid. After downloading the same you can queued all the files to the Windows Media Player Playlist using a right-click. If you wanted to download the same then searched for them on Google and see whether it is working with the issue of yours or not.

I thought I had alredy done just this in installing the FDShow / K-Lite Codec Pack, but I thought I'd follow your advice anyway & searched again. The Microsoft site wasn't much help (is it ever?) but upon Googling "Windows 7 Codec" I found this one on C-Net which I decided to try & Lo & Behold my WMP is working again.

I hope the link may be able to help anyone else with similar problems.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Maqbool; 18-11-2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Removed The Same.