Thread: Media player classic is throwing error "Class Not Registered"

Media player classic is throwing error "Class Not Registered"

I am running windows 7 operating system and for playing the media files I have installed the media player classic in my system but whenever I am trying to play a video file then it is giving me error message that says "Class Not registered". I really don’t know why I am getting this error and also can’t figure out to solve the same, so can someone help me out.

Re: Media player classic is throwing error "Class Not Registered"

The class not register error occurs when the process is looking for the CLSID object. Now to solve this problem you have to just follow the below mentioned steps:
    • The first thing you have to do is that register the Fm20.dll and to do the same you have to use windows explorer to locate the Fm20.dll file.
    • After that when you find the file then you have to just copy it.
    • Now you have to close all the programs that you have open.
    • After that just click on start and open the windows taskbar and then just type “Regsvr32.exe fm20.dll” and at last lines you have to paste the file here and then press enter.
    • And then after clicking on OK then the following message should be display:
      DllRegisterServer in c:\windows\system\fm20.dll succeeded, so if you got this message then the error is fixed.

It seems to me that you have to just uninstall the media player classic and then install the fresh copy of the same again. Reinstalling the media player classic will not give you this error. But before installing the same you have to keep one thing in mind that you are installing it from the official source or a trusted source.

You are getting this problem because the drivers are not properly installed, it happens if the driver of the system are not installed or have got corrupted then you will get this error. So what you have to do here is that just install the appropriate drivers or else update the drivers. And if still the same issue then you can use any other media player and if this will be the case then I will suggest you to go with windows VLC media player. I hope that this will help you to solve the issue.

I guess there is some kind of issue with some of the system file. So you can just do the SFC scan which will try to recover the errors or the bad files which are causing this problem. To do the same just open the command prompt and then you have to type sfc scannow in it and then hit enter. Then the scan will start and it will take little time to scan because it will not only scan the system files but also fix them.

I think this is a classic Win 7 admin permissions thing. In my case it also involves Win7 x64.

You can register the FM20.dll by opening cmd in administrator mode and then doing the regsvr bit. That registers ok.

However it makes little difference to the 'class not registered' issue. Running Visual Studio in Admin mode does not help either.

Anyone found an answer to this yet?