Thread: WMP11 and DLNA

WMP11 and DLNA

Is there a way to get Windows Media Player 11 to work as a video server for the DLNA TV? I am able to get WMP 11 to serve up still photos and audio to the TV without any issue but if I am trying to choose a folder which has all the video files in it then it tells me that "There are no items to display". I have already tried to play many formats such as .avi, .mov, .flv, .wmv, etc; but nothing is showing up in the TV. I am having Windows XP installed on the machine, any ideas how to do that?

RE: WMP11 and DLNA

You have to search the file and then right click on it and then select "open with" and then choose Windows Media Player or else you can go to the Help in the upper task bar and then choose the option to "search for media files".

Re: WMP11 and DLNA

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to let you know that Windows Media Player 11 is able to see the video files and it is already associated with the extensions in Windows and it contains them in its library and can play them locally without any issues. If I am trying to use WMP 11 as a DLNA server then the problem arises only with the video files although audio is still working fine.

You can try to turn on media sharing if it is not already enabled:
    1. Click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click Media Sharing.
    2. In the Media Sharing dialog box, select the Share my media check box.

After that choose which devices to share your media with:
    1. In the list of devices below the Share my media to check box, select a device.
      • Do one of the following:
      • If you want to share your media with the computer or device you have selected, click Allow.
      • If you don't want to share your media with the computer or device you have selected, click Deny.

Re: WMP11 and DLNA

You will also need to enable network discovery, so to do the same follow the below method:

1. Start Network and Sharing Center.
    2. Click the down arrow button next to Network Discovery.
    3. To allow your computer to be found by other computers on the network, click Turn on network discovery.
    4. To prevent your computer from being found by other computers on the network, click Turn off network discovery.
    5. Click Apply.
    6. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.