Thread: can't start Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

can't start Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

I have Windows XP with Service Pack 3 installed on my computer and am trying to enable the media sharing so that I can share media with an Xbox 360 on the same network. I have followed the steps on the xbox and microsoft site but am facing some problem. I am getting some prompt to download Windows Media Player 11 when I go to the site and after installing it and trying to turning on Media Sharing there is a long wait and then it gives to select the devices I want to share but no devices is listed in there. When I am trying to run the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service then it gives me an error message that says that "Could not start the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service on Local Computer. Error 1008: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist." Can anyone help me out with this problem?

RE: can't start Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

I again did some testing by uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Media Player 11 and it seems to have fixed the issue for me. The Windows Media Player Network Sharing has also started and running fine now.

Re: can't start Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

Incase if anyone else is facing similar problem then use the below method to solve it:

1. First of all click on Start menu and then go to Control Panel and then Administrative Tools and then Services
    2. After that click on Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and Start its service and end if starts
    3. After that if Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is not starting then navigate to Universal Plug and Play Device Host and Start it.
    4. Incase if Universal Plug and Play Device Host is not starting then go to SSDP Discovery Service and start it and the problem will be solved.

To resolve this issue, make sure that all dependent services have been started. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
    2. Under Pick a Task, click Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems.
    3. In the Tools area, click System Configuration Utility.
    4. In the right pane, click Open System Configuration Utility. This opens the System Configuration Utility.
    5. Click the Services tab.
    6. Make sure all the following services are turned on. To turn on a service, click to select the check box.
      Application Layer Gateway Service
      Network Connections
      Network Location Awareness (NLA)
      Plug and Play
      Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
      Remote Access Connection Manager
      Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
      Telephony
    7. Click OK, and then click Restart.
    8. After Windows restarts, rerun the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard.

More information here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827328

You can also use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on your Windows operating system. Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps given on this website - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833#method2