Thread: Xbox 360 Connected as Windows Media Extender but will not connect via Windows Media Player

Xbox 360 Connected as Windows Media Extender but will not connect via Windows Media Player

I have got a PC which is hooked with my xbox 360 as an extender. Windows Media Player cannot be connected in the Movies, Music, etc on the xbox even though media center is working fine. The network is detected by the xbox but it never finds the computer. It will just stuck to a message that will say "allow 30 seconds for your PC to appear before clicking PC not listed". I have got a HP Pavilion Media Center m8400f and am also running Norton Internet Security software. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks

I got the same issus as well and I have connected by an ethernet cable which goes straight into my pc and have connected to Xbox Live through the ICS and am also connected to Windows Media Center. But whatever I do, I am not able to connect to Windows Media Player and set up the media sharing. When I am trying to run a PC connection test then it gives me "PC Not Listed" message. Have the same norton antivirus and am on Windows Vista.

I think that you need to configure Norton by allowing proper things in its firewall settings for media player sharing. You can also click on start and then go in the "administrative tools" and then find that same folder. After that open it and doube click on the services and then scroll down to UPnP Device Host and check if it started along with the SSDP Discovery service. If it is not started then right click on the same services and then go to its properties and in the general tab change the startup type and then Stop the service if it is running and then restart it again. If still that doesnt work then disable the antivirus that you are using and see if that helps. Also note to start the Windows Media Player Network Sharing service as well.

You can setup Windows Media Player in xbox 360 by following the below method:
    1. In Windows Media Player, right-click Library, and then click Media Sharing.
    2. Click Share my media, and then OK.
      Windows Media Player will search for devices on your network. Xbox 360 should appear with a green check mark.
    3. If you want to apply more options, click Settings.
    4. When you're done, click OK.

More method are given here - http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3...-and-use/media