Thread: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device

I have a Logitech R-10 speaker set connected with my XP Media Center 200 Edition SP2 and Windows Media Player 10. Whenever I try playing something in Windows Media Player, I get the following error message:

“Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be
    functioning properly.”

Let me tell you that these speaker set is working very fine with other computers and discman. So what is the problem with my computer? Somebody please help.

re: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device

Are you getting problem only with Windows Media Player or even with System sounds like logon, startup sound, etc? Also do you have any other media player like VLC or Real Player on your system and sound is working proper?

Here is a simple quick fix!!!!!!

Open the Media Player

At the top, Click on "Tools"

Select "Options"

Click on the "Devices" tab

In the list of devices, double-click on "Speakers"

Under 'audio device to use' it probably lists your sound card ...THIS IS WRONG!!! !using the selector button on the right side of the window, change this
    setting to:
    "Default Directsound Device" (Note that "Directsound" will show as one
    word).

This problem happens because MS never should have allowed this setting
    to be changed ... it's senseless.

I have the same problems with windows media player. I have problems with sound device. When i look foe my sound device there was writen no sound device. Then i look drivers and everything was ok. I cant hear no sound.

I found that my sound device worked again if i changed it to the one that isn't the default directsound device..

re: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device

This didn't work and i've try download a driver called winfast 6xsound driver from http://www.nodevice.com/driver/compa...tek/SOUND.html but can't get it 2 work still and it really pissing me off!!!

P.S: i have a winfast 6100 something and i think i had something called soundmax but i can't seem 2 get it 2 work ether

I had exactly the same problem and everything that has been posted has not worked
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance