Thread: Video Streaming Ready? But does not play

Video Streaming Ready? But does not play

I am having a Vista laptop with Windows Media Player 11. I’m trying to stream a Video from Internet but it failes with the following error message:

“Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL dialog box, try using a different transport protocol (for example, "http:" or "rtsp:")”

I checked the settings and found that those protocols are already enabled. When I went to see Streaming Proxy Settings, I found that there are no protocols set and when I try to set one, it wont allow me to do so.

Somebody please help.

Re: Video Streaming Ready? But does not play

Most probably this error occurs when your user profile have made any changes to Wmsdkns.xml file. You just need to delete this file and start Windows Media Player. It will create this file again but the working one. You can find this file under C:\Users\Userame\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Media\11.0 folder.

For more help on this, just checkout KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940029

Re: Video Streaming Ready? But does not play

I have been struggling the same problem on Vista with WMP 11. I guess the problem is related to version 11 itself. In my case I just uninstalled v11 and installed Windows Media Player 10. That’s it. Every problem fixed.