Thread: Can't play DVD movies in Windows Media Player

Can't play DVD movies in Windows Media Player

I am playing DVD movies in Windows Media Player. But due to some reason it is not reading my disc. All are new and I hope by adding new codec or making changes in the current resolution, this might work. But still the same issue. When I try to load the DVD files the system freezes. I want to know that does new version of Windows Media Player is capable of reading DVD files. Will installing Nvidia's driver can fix the issue. Thanks.

re: Can't play DVD movies in Windows Media Player

There are some dvd players that you can download from web and use. Also Windows Media Player comes with a DVD Decoder plugin. You can download that from Microsoft website. Adding this will allow Windows Media Player to read DVD files. The issue can be fixed also after installing Media Player Codec pack. There is no need to upgrade or change your existing media player.

Yes that can be due to missing codec. Basically I do not use Media Player for DVD's. It is too slow and take time to load. Also when I skip the video it takes time. Compared to that I am using VLC which is better. It supports almost all kind of video formats and available for free also. There are other dvd players also which are available for free. You can try some of them. They come with internal codecs which almost plays all kind of video files.

Try using VirtualDub. This is a nice software for DVD playing. I am using it from long time and found it really very helpful. If you are not able to play DVD files on Windows Media player, it is recommended that you use some third party software which are capable of playing all kind of video formats.