Thread: Missing music files from Windows Media Player 11 AND doubled downloads

Missing music files from Windows Media Player 11 AND doubled downloads

We have a Windows XP Media Edition 2005 system at home with windows media player 11 and iTunes installed. We have an iPod as well that we sync with iTunes and an Philips Juke box mp3 player synced with WMP.

Now the problem am facing is I dint used WMP for last week and today when I started I found that my more than 25% of music is lost from all albums. This has also happened earlier if WMP is left ideal for few days but the lost music was not in such high number. Also I tried to recover those music files everywhere including recycle bin but it is nowhere.

As far as I know if any music file gets disappeared from iTunes it goes to recycle bin and can be recovered easily. But that never happened with Windows Media Player. Any help in recovering the lost files? Also how can I stop this happening every time? I more problem am facing is WMP list each music twice in the library.

Re: Missing music files from Windows Media Player 11 AND doubled downloads

As far as is missing of the files is concerned, just open WMP's Tools > Options > Library options and see if the option “Rename files” is checked here? And about duplicate or dual entry of the music is concerned, can you just check what is the file types and location for each duplicate entry?

re: Missing music files from Windows Media Player 11 AND doubled downloads

Hello newtech, the locations for duplicate entries are as follows:

1. C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Music \Beatles\1967-1970(Blue album)\Volume 1
    2. C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Music \iTunes\iTunes Music\Beatles\Magical Mystery Tour

What now?

Re: Missing music files from Windows Media Player 11 AND doubled downloads

I think iTunes folder is conflicting with the WMP hence it is getting duplicate listing. You should better move your iTunes folder to some location WMP doesn't scan and do the same thing with WMP folder, move it somewhere where Itunes wont scan.