Thread: How to play FLV with Windows Media Player 11

How to play FLV with Windows Media Player 11

I am having a Vista laptop. I had purchased this new one recently. It came with Windows XP pre-installed and has Windows Media Player 11 in it. I have some flv files that I had downloaded from web. I tried to play them on Windows Media Player, but it is not working at all. I thought Media Player will play all video I have in my system. It does not at all recognize it. How can I make media player to play all my flv files. Thanks.

Try to install codes for that. Do you have FFDShow in your system. Check this out and see whether there is a flv file listed or not. Also go to Tools and then click on options. There you can find any thing related to this file format. You need additional codecs to run flash video files. Like Klite codec pack. You can download this free from web. There are also many third party video player that you can download and use. Look for one that plays everything.

re: How to play FLV with Windows Media Player 11

In order to play FLV files with WMP11 you must perform the following steps:

- Install a FLV splitter (find the one by Gabest's in http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli2/files/)

- Install the necessary audio and video codecs (for youtube videos you can decode H.264 video with ffdshow and AAC audio with CoreAAC).

- With GSpot make sure that the merits of the FLV Splitter, ffdshow and CoreAAC are set so that they are the preferred ones for the corresponding media types. Check that ffdshow is configured to decode H.264 streams

- And now the magic! In the control panel associate ".flv" extension to Windows Media Player. Then you will be able to play your flash videos with WMP11. The funny thing is that you can change the ".flv" association to another player and WMP11 will still be able to play flash videos.

P.S: I have tried this trick for ".vob" videos, but to no avail. WMP11 will refuse to open them because "it cannot jump to the specified location". There seems to be another problem here.

I hope it helps