Thread: why cant i download?

why cant i download?

I recently bought an emachines computer with windows vista. for whatever reason, i cannot download anything off the internet. i have tried saving the file and running it, but after the download dialog box goes away, nothing happens. im really not sure what to do. and its not just one file i have tried...its all files.

Dr. V Guest
    Just out of curiosity, what browser are you tring to download the file? Try using Firefox or any other browser . Also can you be more specific?

Before a downloaded file is transferred to your chosen
    folder location, its parts, so to speak, are downloaded to the Temporary
    Internet Files folder.

im using internet explorer and i cant use firefox or another browser because i cannot download it. what other information do you want?

i specifically select it to just be saved to the desktop but still nothing. im pretty ignorant when it comes to computers so whatever else will help let me know. ty

Try this and see what happens.

Start>Run, key in Regedit and press enter.

Double left click on each of these in the Left Pane.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins

Now in the Left pane you should see a subkey named "Extension" that's listed "within" and underneath the "Plugins" key in the Left side of the screen. Right click on it and select Delete. Now close Regedit.

Restart Windows and then try downloading with IE.

BTW, please be careful and see the attached file so your sure you delete the correct one. You'll see another key called "Extensions", plural with an "s", that's not "within" and underneath the "Plugin" key. You don't want to delete that one.

Try going to windows search engine. It's usually called "find". type in the name of the file and follow the rest. What you downloaded is probably still on your computer. Also you can check the downloads folder on xp and vista.
    Finally, when you download, select the folder that you want the download to go into. Not every file has an auto extract capability. And the file will be there. Good Luck!