Thread: BSNL DataOne broadband

BSNL DataOne broadband

BSNL is going to start a new broadband sevice called DataOne (Or rather, it is starting a new service with an old name). It claims to offer high speeds ranging from 256kbps to 8mbps (!!). It also claims to offer value added services like video on demand and distance learning (whatver that is supposed to mean). It says it will be available from December but judging by the fact that this is BSNL, we might expect this to begin by jan 2005 or, hopefully, late december. Before you say that this will have a download/usage limit read this http://www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone.htm . It appears BSNL has a new backbone and is really trying to provide a good service. And it also might be cheap. I asked a guy at the BSNL call centre and he couldnt give me much information but he did say that this will cheaper than all the other services available out there. Guys, this might be the panacea of broadband in India we were all hoping for. And dont start saying this will be slow/limited/costly. Looks like BSNL is really doing its best to give a good service and our IT ministry is giving it a good push. Lets all cross our fingers and pray!

One important note: the BSNL website has "tarrifs" for DataOne which seem crappy. But those are not the tarrifs for this service. BSNL had another broadband service called DataOne back in 2003 which had high rates and low limits and these appear to be the tarrifs of thisold service. As of now the rates for this DataOne have not been announced yet.
    To err is human. To forgive is just stupid.

KingKrool Guest
    Yeah, the rates are old....
    Still we cannot be sure what BSNL means by unlimited.
    They have been advertising in the papers for the past few days so I am hopeful they will come out with something soon.
    I will get it straight away if it is affordable.
    It will also be more reliable than Reliance's service.
    DSL has less problems than extended LANs, as there is no optic fibre/ethernet crossover, boosters etc which are the bane of cable broaband (read sify) users.

EDIT:
    http://www.vinuthomas.com/sutra373.html
    Read one post frm a guest highlighted in maroon.
    What is a fair use policy? Must mean that u cannot dld illegal s/w etc, same as reliance's policy (indeed every ISP has the same mentioned in its terms and conditions).

Wow!!! Thats absolutely amazing. Initially they are supposed to cover about 200 cities so I am sure all major cities (including my good old gwalior) will be covered. If that vinuthomas link is to be believed then rates are pretty good too and I will get it as soon as its available.

KingKrool Guest
    http://www.vodafone.com.au/rep/about...afone&st=legal
    This is a air use policy frm Vodafone...
    So apparently the unlimited connection frm BSNL WILL have a hidden limit...
    Let us see.....

Hey KingKrool, thanks. BTW, dont evryone have a fairuse policy? This link you provided appears to be the fair use policy of mobile phone or somethng similar, so those things are pretty tight. Are ISPs also so tight? More importantly what i want to know is whether airtel is so tight?

Does anyone know whether airtel broadband is restrictive? What is the highest you have downloaded and what is you average download? Anyone? Please? I NEED to know because I'm getting the connection tomorrow morning!!

And any info/opinion on BSNl dataone will also be appreciated. thanks.

go ahead dude. airtel user here. no limits.

hey, bottle, thanks man. btw, do you download gigabytes worth of stuff without fairuse problems?

Airtel has no limits, sify's unlimted plans now have limits, i sure hope BSNL, provide something like 256kbps/unlimited. i'm looking for somejust like that.

what on earth is this fairuse crap? My airtel connection works fine regardless whatver I dload.

same here... get a steady 12-16kBps download speed. downloaded hl2 (almost a gig) in 2 nights

Will i ever get the so called Broadband ?????

Sify's unlimited plans like 65 kbps unlimited only works for 6 hrs in a day. maybe theyve changed the plans now, but before the unlimited section had limits like only in nightime you will get the speed and only about 6 hrs a day with no limits on downloading etc.

As far as I know there never were any limits on night connection.
    Yeah it is DSL, but why do they charge so much? Airtel is DSL too.

http://www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone.htm
    http://bsnl.co.in/newsdetailed.php?news_id=170
    http://bsnl.co.in/newsdetailed.php?news_id=171
    Check these out.
    The form indicates there MAY be dld limits. Let us see.

Man this limit on download thing sucks!!! When will the ISP's grow up!!!

I contacted someone related to dataone and he told me that there might be a download limit of 500 mb!!!!!

guys i was royally cheated by sify in bangalore basweshwara nagar. for a 64kbps dedicated line, the dowload speeds was always in the average of 5-6 kbps. I gave up the connection last month as without xageration had to call every alternate day to keep the connection up.. Also the intial deposit IS QUITE HIGH compared to others which is 3500 and is non refundable. Anyone help with good broadband connection>??? major fight with sify cable guy ended up in my neighbour with sify threatning to lodge a police complaint.. cable guys always switch off mobile when tried to contact!!!

get Airtel DSL 64/128 kbps ultd connections at 600/900 bucks a month, they freaking own any other ISP out there in INdia right now...

I contacted BSNL today and they told tarrif information will be available from tomorrow (26 november). Call 1600-424-1600. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

i read the faq given on bsnl site bout dataone broadband. it said u reqiure a bsnl 'bfone' connection before u can use their broadband. so does this mean this is not available in Delhi as there is no BSNL here- only MTNL??

people i donno
    is the below information old or new (regarding dataone)
    http://www.bsnl.co.in/newsdetailed.php?news_id=111

Old. Already been discussed. They retained the same name though.

So, did anyone enquire about BSNL broadband? My phone is not working, so I cannot contact BSNL. If you want to contact BSNL the number is 1600-424-1600.

every month i uninstall 7gb of stuff from my pc.. cause that`s how much i can dl in a month on my dial-up! ...hehehehe
    waiting for broadband.. and my bigger HDD

Has any one applied for this in Bangalore. What is the procedure???

I think they're accepting Online Registrations at their http://bsnl.co.in website

I contacted them yesterday and still no news on tarrif. They haven't even annoucned tarrif and other details, but they have already started accepting applications!

i think there will be some download limit for sure

KingKrool Guest
    Yeah, masky what happens in the daytime plans at least is that after 75 MB in a single day they decrease ur speed to what works out to be about 2.85kBps.
    It is reset after the day is up.
    This was mentioned on their site for a while (shopping @sify.com) but now they have removed mention of it after they increased their rates, so let us see. (when I renew)

taylor Guest
    oh well.. if its the 75MB limit per day with unltd scheme, then its OK.. i have the 695 a month 32KBps which i use between 9am n 9pm and on which i dont download 75MB.. and a night time 128KBps.. this is the one that matters mroe to me as most of my downloads are done during this time

as long as they dont have a ****ty limit for this night plan, its ok for me

taylor Guest
    Sify nigght time pack is cool too.. except i dont make full use of it.. i get sustained 15-16KBps on the 128KBps connection. but then again, from 9pm to 3 in the morning i dont download anything as i am mostly playing.. and between 3 and 9, i download about 300-350MB.. so thats cool

I just got airtel broadband unlimited connection. You cant either get a usb modem or a router with the connection. I opted for the router because the usb modem wont work on linux. Now it appears my connection is blocking incoming trafick on all ports. This means i cant use p2p apps or bittorrent!! I desperately need to know how to ublock these ports. I also need to know whether the usb modem will work on linux. do any of you use any p2p apps like emule with airtel? Please, please, i desperately need to know. any info/opinion will be helpful. if my question is not clear, please ask me to clarify, i will be glad to do so.

I need this information so much that i have also posted it as a new thread. BTW, linuxaholic, do you use airtel broadband on linux? do you use the usb modem or router? if the modem, are there any problems? Are your ports blocked? can you use p2p apps? Thank you...

KingKrool Guest
    The 64kbps unlimited still has that limit clearly mentioned, but the 32kbps does not have limits mentioned. Night time obviously does not have limits as Masky has told us.
    Can't tell about daytime 32kbps limits currently cos my connection was renewed when those limits were definitely in existence. Mask if ur connection was renewd after nov 1st try dlding more than 75MB in a day and see if after hat speed reduces drastically.

PS: Went to Tata Indicom's site. U know how much they charge for 128kbps unlimited? 6000Rs per month!!! 6 K? They must be nuts. Airtel charges one fifth!!!!
    Last edited by KingKrool; 20-11-2004 at 11:56 AM.

taylor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKrool
    The 64kbps unlimited still has that limit clearly mentioned, but the 32kbps does not have limits mentioned. Night time obviously does not have limits as Masky has told us.
    Can't tell about daytime 32kbps limits currently cos my connection was renewed when those limits were definitely in existence. Mask if ur connection was renewd after nov 1st try dlding more than 75MB in a day and see if after hat speed reduces drastically.

PS: Went to Tata Indicom's site. U know how much they charge for 128kbps unlimited? 6000Rs per month!!! 6 K? They must be nuts. Airtel charges one fifth!!!!
    i had renewed b4 Nov 1st. so the limit is still there for me. DAy b4 yesterday i downloaded 100MB at night on the 32KBps connection and the speed was sucky in the morning..

12KBps connection has no limits so far.. i download about 300MB everynight. thats b'coz i download only for 5 hours or so. I'll try to download more some time soon

and about the Tata Indicom site, yep i had seen that too.. may be its a DSL line or something.. not sure man

delhiboy1000 Guest
    well for one, i went to the ITPO y'day.went to BSNL's stall.
    Those freaks are going to offer the conection only in Noida & Ghaziabad first.
    I have NO idea why!!
    AS for tariffs they had NO idea..!!
    Im thinking of shifting to AIRTEL too, does any1 hav the 64kbps connection??
    Does it really get divided for 2 users?wats the max d/l speed? any negatives that i shud know of?
    Right now im on MTNL ADSL 128kbps, its GOOD but has a d/l limit...!

abhay Guest
    Yup yup it will not be available in Delhi and Mumbai but MTNL people are working on setting up a similar network so we will have this kind of broadband within next 6 months.
    To provide a means to bill for the aforesaid services by either time-based or volume-based billing.
    btw guys. That statement really scares me as MTNL will have similar policy as BSNL. Another broadband with transfer limit? Nooooooooooooo........