Thread: mpeg4 in tata sky

mpeg4 in tata sky

I recently visited one of my friends place where he was using a new set of TATA Sky DTH connection with the all new set top box in black color. When I asked my friend about some additional features were also given with it, then he told me now it comes with Mpeg4 and component video out features as well. Now I was just thinking if anyone has used this new set top box with many new features, how is your experience with it?

Re: mpeg4 in tata sky

Yeah even I heard that Tata Sky has announced a new set top box which outputs Mpeg4 codec and also has a component out which is Dvb-S 2 ready as well. But even though its a mpeg4 set top box it will also accept Mpeg2. You can also expect in the future from all other DTH providers to give you this mpeg4 features as well.

I dont think that either mpeg4 or mpeg2 will make any difference to the end user. This technology used by Tata Sky is to save and optimize their bandwidth and nothing else and will also help them to add more channels. Most of the HD set top box are already mpeg4 compatible and they just need some software update.

I also got a call from their customer support and one of their representative gave me information about this new set top box with mpeg4 support. He gave me 4 options and the first one was "Free box with only 1 month warranty". The second option was I will get the box for Rs. 500 with 1 year warranty. The third and fourth option was I will get HD box for Rs. 990 and HD+ box for Rs. 4990. Now I was wondering why are they charging so much for HD+ boxes?