Thread: Getting stable bsnl broadband speed

Getting stable bsnl broadband speed

In my area me and my 4 other friends subscribed to BSNL UL 525 plan together. We all are just in the range of 500 meters. Its been about 4 months to this connection and from last two months i am facing huge problem with only my connection. The download speed fluctuates a lot while at the same time none of my other friends are facing this issue. I checked all modems and connections, every thing seems to be fine. However i dont face any problem while surfing but huge fluctuation while downloading. Any idea what could be the issue? How to fix it?

Calling BSNL guy is a huge pain because if try calling them probably i will be connected to them in next 2 to 3 days and then they will raise a ticket and properly in next two months they will visit to fix the connection Hence, i request you guys to please provide any fix. Thank you.

Re: Getting stable bsnl broadband speed

There could be just two reasons of speed fluctuation. Either it is from BSNL's end but as you said your friends connections are working fine but the problem is only with you , i dont think this could be the reason. So secondly it could be some loose connection or cable problems. Just unplug and replug all your cables from PC Lan port, Router (if any), modem, etc and see if it makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BsOd View Post
    The download speed fluctuates a lot while at the same time none of my other friends are facing this issue.
    Before I can suggest anything there are few things I would like to know:
    1. What should be the normal download speed according to you/tariif?
    2. What is the download speed you are getting as of now?
    3. From where are you download? Google Server, Torrent, etc?

Well according to me it should be at least 60to 70kbps constant download speed but it keeps fluctuating from 10kb to 50kb. This is not the case with any of my friends. As per your last question, It depends what I am downloading. Sometimes it use to be songs from songspk or videos from metacafe, etc. Does it matters in any way?

Yes, of course it matters dude. You get better download speed depending on the server. If you want to check the actual download speed try downloading something from Microsoft or Google severs. You will get to know how much speed your connection can provide you. Or even try out downloading some torrents with good number of Seeders. Hope you know how Seeders effect the speed on torrent.

Metacafe, songpk, etc are all small sites with slow servers. They cannot provide you the speed you are expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lankesh View Post
    If you want to check the actual download speed try downloading something from Microsoft or Google severs. You will get to know how much speed your connection can provide you.
    That’s absolutely correct. Along with your broadband speed, the severs from where you downloading stuffs also matter in the download speed. But in you case as you said you are downloading songs and videos from those small sites, better use “Internet Download Manager” application. It leeches all your bandwidth and offer you’re the maximum speed you can get.

Well there are also some tips and tricks using which you can increase your surfing or download speed more than the actual speed provided by your ISP. To know how to do the same with BSNL, you can go through the steps provided in these articles:
    Increasing Speed in BSNL Broadband
    BSNL broadband speed is very slow