Thread: Stop external IP to redirect to setup page of router

Stop external IP to redirect to setup page of router

I have a BSNL’s internet connected to my Macintosh and I am using router provided by BSNL itself with my Macintosh. The model of the router is DNA-A211-1 which is wireless. The problem is that whenever I want to access any external IP from my computer, I type it in my browser’s URL bar. But every IP leads to the private IP itself, which is 192.168.1.1. Can anyone tell me why it is happening and how do I stop it? Also is there any risk or threat of privacy being hampered due to it?

Re: Stop external IP to redirect to setup page of router

I don’t think that this problem of external IP address leading to private IP address will lead to any security issues. But of you are still worried, you can just note down the external IP addresses which lead to private IP address and check it out from your friend’s computer. I don’t think that it will be possible to access your private IP address from any other computer. This type of problem is seen when the NAT network in your router is enabled. You can contact the BSNL’s technician to get it corrected. Also no external person will be able to get into your private IP address as port 80 is always locked.

The problem of external IP address leading to the router’s private IP address is no big deal when using a BSNL’s router. It cannot be accessed by anyone else other than you. The main reason for this is that BSNL provides a dynamic IP address to all the users. Thus there is no fixed IP address for anyone to track you down. Also as Abeni mentioned that it is not possible to access administrator’s page as port 80 is locked, you can remain calm. Even if you are still confused or scared about it, just keep changing the password of your router regularly.

This problem of getting the private IP address is only seen in computers from Apple. It is never seen in Microsoft’s operating system. I don’t know what the problem is but I am sure that Mac OS doesn’t work quite properly with it. As you are saying that you have a wireless router on your BSNL’s internet connection, this router must be coming with some feature to secure the connection. You can use it for your own safety.