Thread: Want help to use 2 Router on single BSNL internet connection

Want help to use 2 Router on single BSNL internet connection

I have a single broadband line of 2mbps from BSNL. The modem is connected to my pc so I am the only one using it. Now I want to share the same at other rooms. For that a friend suggested me to use routers. I had found 2 old routers kept with my friends. I can use them to share internet on the other parts of my house. But I do not the way of using it. What are the processes that are needed to configure this routers on the single internet connection.

Re: Want help to use 2 Router on single BSNL internet connection

If you need to extend your internet connection why don't you try to buy a good wifi router. Just connect a cable from router to modem that's all. You have to insert the router cd in your pc to configure it. Once done turn on the wifi. Do not forget to secure it with a password.

There is no need to buy a wifi router. You can use those old routers. For that you have to buy RJ45 cables that will connect to your router and other system. You need a bit long cable that will be connected to the PC in other rooms. The thing that is required is extra ports in your modem. Many modem comes with minimum 4 port connection. If there is no additional port then this routers are useless. You have to buy either a router + modem or a modem with additional ports. But if you have then nothing to worry about. Get a rj45 patch cord. Now connect one to the modem port and other to the router port.

This router once configured starts working. You can just need to use more patch cord to connect the other pc to the router. And to get more distance you can get a long cable and connect it to the router to other router. You can keep on extending your network in this way. Wifi offers you a cleaner place where you do not require to buy cables. They are also reliable to some extent. I had the same issue where the internet was on side of house and I need a setup to reach it on other part. So told the wiring guy to put extra rj45 connectors in different parts of house. He gave me additional ports near each switch box. I just need to know connect those ports to my router and done. I think you do not need to add two routers. One will do the job if there are enough ports available on the same.

Setting up router is never complicated. They are plug and play devices. You even do not need the driver disc for them. I carry one in my bag. I use to connect my laptop at office. I had to insert the rj45 cable of my pc to the router and done. Turn on the wifi and share internet.

Router setup is very easy. But if you try to do that in a messy way it will be complicated to manage. Because it can cause many wire usage and if you keep on adding a new connection or patch cord it will be complicated to make them organize. It is quiet easier to hook up a common internet line for multiple systems. Now there is one more thing you can do if you have a quiet good number of computers. Get a good router. You have a modem with you. Buy a switch. Hook the switch, router and modem to single place from where you can manage the internet connection quiet easily.

Now connect the modem to router and a cable from router to switch. You have to check what is the distance of computer to reach to switch. You can then buy patch cords of that size and then organize them in proper way. It is much easier. I had a small office where I did this manually. You can buy easy to patch cord in market at reasonable price. It makes your job much more easier. You can turn off the switch if you do not want to let others to use internet. So that you can get maximum bandwidth. I do this in the night mostly to download files. You can also from router give static ip to each and every pc and limit the bandwidth of usage.

Why aren't you are thinking of getting a reasonable wifi router. There is only issue is you need to get a wifi adapter on al the systems. That is the actual limitation or else this is one of the best thing you can do.

As said above settings up router is not a big deal. What matters is cabling. If you have more than 5 meter of distance among the location where pc had kept then you can't hook up the internet in better way. The cables will lie on the floor. I have two flats on the same floor. Now to share internet at other room I found a nice solution. I had bought two wifi routers. Both of them are having 4 port connectivity. I hooked the first one to the modem with broadband connection. I had configured the router with powerful password so that it cannot be hacked quiet easily.

Now to share the same I had configured the 2nd router in the next room. As my router is capable of giving good strength between walls. Now both routers can connect with each other and work on single network. I just need to connect different pc with patch cord to them. It works quiet nicely and do not give any bandwidth issue. Remember that if there are obstacles between the pc location you must buy a router that provides you maximum range and no bandwidth fall issue. Old routers are not capable of giving a regular connectivity support.

Ample of internet provider provides you a splitter that you can use to share internet at two different places. I think you can try that. It works quiet nicely and offers a much better support.

If you are setting up two routers then do not forget to keep your pc on static ip. This will help you to configure and manage the internet bandwidth in much better way. Wifi are good solution but on the same hand costly also. If there are more wifi devices in your system and going for wireless router is well enough. The configuration of wifi network is quiet more easier and better in many ways. In many places I had seen hub that act as a bridge between connectivity and well enough to use. You can not only share internet, but printer, file server, etc and many more thing. This is not at all possible on a router connection.

Connecting two pc is easy. Getting two long patch cord will do the work. But for different you need devices like a switch, a hub or router stuff. They are fine, but messy if not placed in proper way.