Thread: which audio settings in Tata Sky DTH is best - Dolby Digital vs PCM

which audio settings in Tata Sky DTH is best - Dolby Digital vs PCM

I have recently bought Tata Sky DTH and have connected Set Top Box To my tv and home theater but when I am going in to the audio settings then there are 2 options. One is PCM where as the other is dolby digital I just wanted to know which one will be better?? I am not able to make out that clearly hence I am confused? Is there anyone having any idea regarding this??

Re: which audio settings in Tata Sky DTH is best - Dolby Digital vs PCM

First of all I will like to inform you that PCM refers to pulse coded modulation which is an uncompressed form of digital audio where as Dolby Digital is a compressed one. Choosing either of them depends on the home theater, some home theater supports Dolby Digital where as some don’t. I think your system supports both, In my case I am have been using PCM and I find it better than Dolby Digital, I don’t know if others agree with the same or not.

Re: which audio settings in Tata Sky DTH is best - Dolby Digital vs PCM

See most of TataSky's HD channel comes with 5.1 dolby digital sound so if you go with PCM then you will be losing better sound. For HD channel I think Dolby Digital is better than PCM. The best way to make out it lowering the volume of your home theater and checking out if there is any echo sound coming. I did the same in my case, I was using PCM in the start but while inspecting it I found that the sound was distorted and there was a bit of echo. Now after switching to Dolby Digital I am not having any issue as such, I am getting awesome sound quality.