Thread: Need information of signal to noise ratio

Need information of signal to noise ratio

I am right now using the BSNL broadband. So I want to know about the Signal to noise ratio. Since I want to understand why it needed to be good to get good broadband speed and what it your signal to noise ratio .and other thing which I want to know is the attenuation. What is the actual meaning of it? Can anyone provide me the details regarding both of this term in details? It will be really helpful for me if you post your details of signal to noise ratio and attenuation rates.

Re: Need information of signal to noise ratio

Here is the actual meaning of the signal to noise ration which is also known as the SNR. It’s the level of the required signal to the level of the background noise. So actually it is the ratio of signal power to the noise power. If we get the ratio which is higher than the 1:1 then it will be the indication of the more signal than the environmental noise. This signal to noise ratio is applied to the any form of the signal from the electric signal to the broadband signal. So signal to noise ratio is the main factor to get good broadband signal.

Signal to noise ratio is the strength of the line. If this ratio is more it will be good. Signal to noise ratio can be reduced due to the joints in the wire and old telephone lines. Signal to noise ratio is in the range of 0 to 50. If it is in the 0 to 10 then it will be counted as the bad, 11 to 20 slight bad, 21 to 30 it will be counted as good, 31 to 40 will be noted as the excellent ratio and best signal to noise ratio will be in the range 41 to 50. The excellent will be good enough.

Attenuation is actually the used to measure the strength of the signal. So the actual definition of it says that it will be the reduction in the strength of signal during transmission. Amplification is opposite of amplification. If the signal is sent from the one point to another and the signal attenuates too much so it’s not good for network. Therefore you can see many of the repeaters are used in the network at regular distance. A decibel is the unit of measurement of attenuation.

Yes what he told about the attenuation is right but it’s in scientific terms. If you want to know what is the attenuation in normal terms then it is the distance from the home to the exchange from where the connection came to you. if the exchange is closer to you then it’s really better and you will get good speed and if it is long then it will be gives you less speed as compare to the near users to the exchange.

Each plan of broadband has the different Signal to noise ratio. So take the one example you can get 40db on 256 kbps and connection and on 2 mbps connection you can get 30 db. So plan will be the main factor for checking the Signal to noise ratio and attenuation is completely depends on the distance from the exchange so it will be changed for all the users who are using the broadband. You need the details of my attenuation and Signal to noise ratio so here is the details. I am using the 256kbps plan from hathway. My signal to noise ratio is 34.4 for down and 18.4 for up and attenuation is 24.5 down and 11.5 up. So it’s quiet good for me at this speed.

Here are the details of my signal to noise ratio and attenuation rate. Signal to noise ratio is 23.4 down and 14. 5 up its really bad but still ok. I am using the 2mbps broadband plan. Attenuation is 45.5 down and 23 up so it’s really good.

I am close to the road due to that my details are slightly less. And there are two connection one of which is closed and other one is on. My details of the signal to noise ratio and attenuation. I am using the 512 kbps plan from bsnl and its running quiet well for me at least still my values are less for upstream and downstream. I am getting signal to noise ratio of downstream is 13.0 db and 16.5 db for upstream. And attenuation is 31.1 db for downstream and 16.7 for upstream.

I have tested many of the modems of bsnl and mtnl in few months and I have analyzed that the value of the signal to noise ratio and attenuation is different for the different modems. I have found that one of the modem gives the signal to noise ratio of the 26db where other is giving the 45 db which is quiet high connection is same but you can see the difference.

There are two types of the signal to noise ratio one is remote signal to noise ratio margin which is available at your site. I have seen that this value remains constant for many of the modems. Whereas the remote Signal to noise ratio is main factor. The local signal to noise ratio is calculated on basis of the remote Signal to noise + modem boosted Signal to Noise Ratio. The same is for the attenuation. Remote signal to noise ratio is calculated before entering the modem. And local signal to noise ratio is after the processing the modem.