Thread: How to perform internet speed test with command line?

How to perform internet speed test with command line?

Hello everyone, I have come here to ask you a simple question. Well I wanted to know how we can perform a simple speed test operation with the help of the command line. I know there are various speed test available that will give me the results but I want to know any specific command line commands that will get me the appropriate test results. So anyone of you who have any idea about this command then do let me know about it.

Re: How to perform internet speed test with command line?

Yes definitely I have a command for you do have a look at it and I am sure that it will give you the test results for the internet speed. The command that I am providing you will give you the transfer rates. So do execute that command and I am sure it will give you definite results. The command is given below
    Code:
    ftp/curl/wget
    so do try with the command and let me know if you have got the appropriate result.

I would advice you to check out the large kernels from the ftp.kernel.org you will definitely get some amount of help from there only. I personally use it from there and I must say that it is definitely of much use to us. So that’s why I definitely recommend you to have a look at that as well. That will be of much for you. As per as command I think the above one would be the best option for you. So do have a look at the above suggestions and I am sure they will [rove helpful for you.

I would advice you one simple solution for this problem make sure you follow the suggestion. Type in the command
    Code:
    time wget/curl.
    So once you have got the command then check out for the file size after you have got the file size divide the file size from the time. Having done that you will be able to get the proper transfer rate of any file. Do try it I am sure that it will be helpful for you.

I would like to add something here. See I suppose you might know on how to ping in the command prompt. So just ping a particular url say google.com and then when you get the result just find out the difference between the ttl value and you will get a fair idea about the transfer time. So this one more option that you can try here and I am sure that it will help you with that. So this is on more alternate solution that you can give it a try.

Hey thanks a lot for all the help that you have given here and I did get the results with the wget command and all thanks for you that command did really help me and I need to appreciate your efforts for helping me out with the issue. So thanks a lot for all the help that you have given here. It did gave me the average transactions speed for the sending of files. Also i am looking out for some good mechanism that will help me in the process.