Thread: Low downloading speed and bandwidth present in the Comcast internet service.

Low downloading speed and bandwidth present in the Comcast internet service.

I have a Comcast "high speed" cable internet at my place, I am using an 50MB/s plan from it, but when I use any of the speed test that is been present in the internet, I am not able to get the speed above 20MB/s. I always download many of the files from the internet, when I am downloading four to five file simultaneously the speed of the internet is dropped down by a huge difference. During downloading of this files is been done, I am not able to connect to any of the WebPages that I request from the internet, but still it works fine when nothing is been downloaded from the internet like any of the files, but when the speed of the internet goes up to 1 MB/S then the speed is been dropped down drastically. Why is this kind of the problem happening with my internet?

Re: Low downloading speed and bandwidth present in the Comcast internet service.

Hi there, I just went through your problem and I think that this will be the issue of the setting which is not been properly done for you, just some of the information I needed from you in case of the problem, the main thing is that I am not sure that are you getting the sped of 50/down and 5/up, because this thing is really something that one has to struggle for it, also you have not mentioned about the modem that you are using, just specify the model number of the same, is there any kind of the router that is present in your network, if yes then also do specify the same. Have you done any of the speed test of the internet connection with the help of the online program that are been present, this is something you should do in the start as it is a basic thing, also try to tell me the result that you are getting from this test.

Re: Low downloading speed and bandwidth present in the Comcast internet service.

The modem that I am using is the latest one which the Comcast people have been supplied to me. The plan that I am using is the Extreme 50 service for which I have to pay around 99$ per month. Also the router that is been using by us is of d-link wireless n-router, the module number that you have asked is not been seen by me right now. According to me if you change the setting of the router then it will be a problem and what I am getting that will also be vanished. The speed that I am getting is around 1-21 MBPS depending on the usage of the services.

See I think that you are confused about some of the basic thing and just making us also confused. The thing is that there is a huge difference between MB/s and Mb/s. according to me MB stands for megabyte and Mb stands for megabit and there is 8 bit to make a single byte. Also I feel that Comcast does not offer a 50 MB/s package, I think that it is 50 Mb/s that you are using. Most of the time internet speed is been termed in Mb/s, this help in getting the transfer speed to be calculated in this notations. So the actual speed that you are getting is 6 MB/s for 50 Mb/s when the connection is in proper format.

Hello there, yes you are just confused about the concept of the megabyte per second and the megabits per second, this is normal not to worry as most of the people also do not know about this concept, but for transferring of the file if you are using a torrent type software then you make sure that the global upload speed is capped at 2/3 of what your ISP is been providing you. If it is not set then the software will use up all the upload bandwidth, and it will slow down all the applications and the other thing in the computer of yours, so the main thing is that when you download something you must be able to upload at that time, this is called as upload acknowledgment.