Thread: Share your views about Fair usage policy

Share your views about Fair usage policy

Hi there, I am a currently working in the Information technology firm. I have been assigned to make a presentation on the advantages and disadvantages of the Fair Usage Policy of the TRAI which is also known as the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India who are responsible for the proper regulation of telecommunication business in India. I would like to know your views as to what do you think about the policy and did it help in way. I just need some true facts about the policy and would require your kind help. In fact we can evaluate from this discussion as to has TRAI been successful in making this policy.

Re: Share your views about Fair usage policy

I had decided to take up this Airtel connection plan when it was initially announced in Sri lanka. They had an unlimited plan which offered me a desirerable speed through the internet. But after sometime Airtel failed to give me the speed I was promised to, previously I use to get download speed of around 18 to 21 kbps. After about a year they introduce some Fair Usage Policy, they even increased the monthly amount of my plan without informing me. I am tired of this airtel connection. This Fair Usage Policy sucks for sure. This Unlimited plan does not seem to be unlimited it only sounds unlimited.

I had a Cable connection for internet in my house. I have completed my graduation in Information technology and have got a job placement through the in-house campus interview in Wipro which is in Pune. So I had to move to pune for my job. Here I have a Tikona connection previously it use to give me speed of around 2 mbps up till 15 GB of download. After the prescribed download I start getting doenload speed of around 750 kbps for Rs 1400/- a month. With a speed of 2 mbps I can download 15 GB data within 4 days. So it means that I am paying Rs 1400/- for 750kbps speed. If I compare this with BSNL I can get unlimited offer for Rs 1000/- with a speed of 1 mbps.

I am a broadband user since years and I have to say that for a country like India Fair Usage Policy has proved to be a flop show. All the telecom companies including Reliance have the Fair Usage policy. This policy is bad as it adds limitations to the benefits that the user can get from the internet. It is not just movies but users even download videos, free content available on the net, and other softwares. I think that the fair usage policy and the broadband services are two different poles. They just keep a check on the data transfer and when the users reach a particular limit they just slow down the speed. I think we all should raise our voices and revolt against this meaningless policy which is disliked by almost all the broadband users in India.