Thread: BSNL data card settings for Ubuntu 10.04

BSNL data card settings for Ubuntu 10.04

I am having a desktop and I am using the Windows XP on that system. In addition to that I have recently opted for having the Ubuntu 10.4 a distribution of the Linux. Well till here there is no problem. I was suffering while installing the Ubuntu on the system but was able to install it with the help of my friend. I just want to tell you all that I have internet connection here and it is running well on the Windows XP now the problem is that I can not get the internet on the Ubuntu mode. Well again I asked my friend to help me with the same but he had some issue with the version, he was unable to get the things in the right manner. Can any one help me with the settings; I am using the BSNL 3G data card.

Re: BSNL data card settings for Ubuntu 10.04

Well I do not think that you should have any difficult while configuring the internet for the Ubuntu. Well I am of the opinion that you are new to the Ubuntu environment. So in this matter I would simply suggest you to download the WvDial. It is basically a service that can assist you in building modem-based associations to the Internet especially with other operating systems that also include some significant Linux distributions. It can help you in establishing the connection in the Ubuntu mode. It in reality dials a modem and then starts pppd in order to attach to the Internet. Get it installed and I am sure that it will help you in configuring the same. Try it and let us know about it.

Well thanks a lot for the reply and I would also tell you all here that Yes I am new to the Ubuntu. I am actually completely blank on the same and I will be happy if you all can assist me in configuring the USB data card on the Ubuntu. I will download and install the WvDial. Is there anything special that I will have to follow so that I it can be configured in a better manner. Please assist me and please try to keep the things simple. As I have already mentioned that I am new. Step by step process will serve me in a better manner. Hope to listen from there soon.

Yes there are some special things that you will have to take care of so that you can have the Internet configured on the Ubuntu and as you have mentioned that you will have the WvDial, and then let me tell you how you can proceed with the same while making the new connection. Just see the steps below and see if it assists you:
    1. As the very first step run wvdialconf so that a configuration file can be generated. That configuration file will contain information on regarding the modem and ISP.
    2. Then wvdialconf will try to probe your comm ports in search for a modem
    3. If the modem is connected then it will try to find out the potential of that modems if at all it succeeds in finding that.
    4. If that fails then see if the modem is plugged in, turned on, and connected to a com port.

I have come up here with a better technique or I would rather ay that I have come up with a technique that is for sure going to run here. The thing is especially with configuring the hi speed 3G BSNL data card model lw272:
    • First extract PCL_COMNLG from its tar.gz.
    • Now download these files: wvdial, libxplc and pppdcapiplugin.
    • After doing all that successfully, in the terminal type the following commands
      1. cd Desktop
      2. cd PCL_COMNLG
      3. sudo sh install.sh
    • After making the last entry wait for some moment and then you will be able to see the installation proceeding. For the same thing you will get a separate pop up program dialogue box. IN that box you will have to enter the user name and the password. Along with that you will have to enter the proper APN.
    • After that wait for the signal

I am sure that after following the steps above your modem will be connected.

Before doing anything I would like to tell you all there that Ubuntu detects the USB modem as a drive and not as a modem. So in order to have that you will have to switch to the modem. For that you will be required to have usb_modeswitch. I think that you will have to have the right driver sl/code for your modem. After that make necessary change by editing the equivalent file. For the drivers I think I can not help, you will have to take the trouble on yourself. I was having the issue with the Internet configuration on the Linux and well I was able to get rid of the same with some googling. Well keep all the information ready in advanced if you are asked to enter the same while configuring.

Please check the following detail and let us know about the same. If you are having the BSNL 3G data card then make sure that the Frequency is 2100 Mhz. And see if you have filled in the information properly while configuring the same. The Profile Name should be the same which can identify this connection settings for an example BSNL 3G. Phone Number should be *99#. Also the Username should be mtnl and the Password should be mtnl123. In addition to that you will have to enter the APN properly it is the Access Point and in the case of the BSNL it is bsnlnet. Then after that run the following command so that the connection with the internet can be established sudo <space> wvdial <enter>.