Thread: How to limit broadband speed on laptop?

How to limit broadband speed on laptop?

It is not like that I want to have the low speed; but the thing is that I just want to limit the access on the internet speed on my sister’s laptop. The thing is that I have the Airtel Broadband connection and I have the desktop and she uses her laptop via WiFi. Now the only thing that troubling me is that she make use of the Torrents to download the stuffs and I do not know why but she gets all the speed for herself. I am barely let with anything. So I have decided that I will just make some changes so that she can get a fair amount of the speed but will let me also use the Internet with the same speed. I just want to have the 50-50 situation. So please let me know if there is really anything that will help me with the situation here. Also while making the suggestion please make sure that when she is not using the Internet then I should get the whole speed and not the 50 percent of the speed.

Re: How to limit broadband speed on laptop?

Well you have not specified the Router that you are using the internet. The thing that you have asked for will really work for you and for that let me tell you; you will be required to make use of the Quality of service. Quality of Service means resource reservation control mechanisms in the traffic engineering. Quality of service is the facility that provides dissimilar precedence to number of applications or users or data flows. In addition to this it also guarantees a definite level of performance to the flow of the data. There are certain criteria for the QoS and they are as follows: Speed: - it defines the maximum amount of information (bits) per unit time; Latency: - it characterizes the delay between transmission and reception of a packet and Desequencing: - it is a modification of the order of arrival of packets. See if you can find this option on your router there.

If you have Beetel 450TC1 ADSL2+ WIFI Router; or something like this, then really let me tell you that you will not be able to find the Quality of Service option for you there. If you really want to do the things in this manner then it will be better if you can have some other router. I think that Airtel will let you have the other router for you. Please see if you can have the one from them directly. After this I am sure that you will be able to make use of the Quality of Service there. If however you do not get it there then you can have the Linksys routers as I am sure that the routers from Linksys have this QoS. You can make a check for this on the Router by opening the Home Page of the Router and for that you will be required to type 192.168.1.1 in the Address bar of the Browser. After getting this Router you will be able to limit the speed on your sister’s laptop for sure.

Well I really think that it will be great if you can just use some of the Programs that can really draw the speed for your computer. Well if the connection in your case is stable and your sister use Torrents for the download and you want to have the speed so that you can download the stuffs much faster than her then you can make use of the Download Accelerator Plus so that the things can really go in your way. If you do not like to make use of the DAP then there is another thing with which you can go. You can make use of the Internet Download Manager and then I am sure that this will really help you in getting the same speed or more speed than the one that is with your sister. Being connected to the router using the Wire I think that the chances that you will get the better speed are more. Well give this a try for once and see if this really helps you. Let me get notified about the same.

If you want to make use of some software then I think that it will be great if you can simply make use of the NetLimiter in your case. By making use of this NetLimiter by making a few clicks, you can choose the amount of bandwidth used by each software. Using this you will be able to easily limit the bandwidth of software too greedy. NetLimiter provide detailed statistics as the measure in real time or periodic traffic for a specific application. NetLimiter exists in several versions, ranging from a free version to the pro version. If you are having Windows 7 or Windows Vista then let me tell you that this is the software that is compatible with all this version of the Windows. So if you are really looking for something that can limit the bandwidth then I think that it is the optimal choice one can go with. In addition to this the User Interface of this software is also pretty nice.

If you are having trouble with the Torrents that is running in your sister’s Laptop and you want to get rid of the same; first of all go to the laptop of your sister if possible and then limit the download speed for the torrents running on it there to the required speed and then let me tell you that however hard see try if she does not know the way then she will not be able to exceed that limit. If you want to be little more evil then you can just uninstall the current version of the Torrents; I guess she is using uTorrent; and then install the older version of the same and then make the same changes and after that disable the automatic updates on it. I am sure that this will limit the speed in her case to some extent. Do this and I think that this will really help you.