Thread: 3G Speed: Cell Phone as Modem vs. Data Card

3G Speed: Cell Phone as Modem vs. Data Card

I have the Sony Ericsson W995 with me and in addition to that I have the BSNL 3G enabled on it. Now I simply want to know what will be the case if I will use the mobile phone as the internet connection for the system. Well I am of the opinion that if I will have the 3G enabled mobile phone then there will be no problem with the connections. I will be able to get the same speed as that I will have when I will be using the Data Card. Any suggestion for this. Well let me know if I am wrong when I am saying the same. Please let me know guys as I am planning to have the internet connection for me and if there is no difference then I will hook up the plan and will try the same. Hope to receive your reply soon.

Re: 3G Speed: Cell Phone as Modem vs. Data Card

Well I am of the opinion that you will not have the same speed at all. Well it is said that there will be no difference between the two but I think that is kept only as theoretical and when it is seen practically then you will be able to see the difference. You have talked about the Sony Ericsson and on the same note I would like to tell you all that you will not have the same speed at all when it will be the data card. Well if you will switch to some other mobile then I think that you will be able to see the changes. Just try to see the same procedure with some other mobile and I am sure that the scenario will be cleared in your mind. Till then you can wait for the replies from the other members and see what they have extra for you.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

If you will ask then I would say that I am in complete agreement with what techman has said. Well my friend was also thinking of the same thing but when he contacted the Tech Support of the BSNL he came to know that the scenario is completely different from what it was looking like. He (person from the BSNL tech support) told that if you were using the same with the mobile phone then you will receive speed of 384 Kbps. In addition to that he was also told that if he will be using the 3G data cards instead of the previous option then the speed will be about 3.6 Mbps. So I think that they are totally different concept and if at all you all are looking at the speed then have the DATA card for you.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

You are using the Sony Ericsson Mobile phone and the thing is that you want to have the functionality as that you will receive on the Data Card. For that I would simply suggest you to have some other mobile phone in your case. Please try to have a HSDPA mobile phones. To name some mobile phones in this category see the list below:
    Sony Ericsson Aspen, Nokia X6, Samsung Wave (S8500) 2GB, Samsung Wave (S8500) 8GB, Samsung Monte (S5620), Samsung Shark 2 (S5550), Motorola QUENCH, Motorola BACKFLIP, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, HTC Desire, Acer beTouch E110 etc.
    Well the list is long but I think you can have anything from the below and see if that can make a difference in your case.
    No TechArena No Experts, Know TA know Experts!

Well thanks a lot for all the above replies, and I am happy that I have received something useful in the matter. Now I just want to know what this HSDPA is, and in addition to that how can it help me serve the thing that I want to have. Also if I will purchase the phone from the list that you have specified then will I get the 3.6 Mbps that I will get with the Data Card. Well I am also planning of upgrading the mobile phone and I will have no problem if the list will help me achieving the two targets at the same time. Please let me know about the same. Hope that I will get the response soon. Well thanks a lot for the previous replies and hope that I will get the clarification soon.

The HSDPA is the acronym for the High-Speed Downlink Packet Access. It is basically an improved 3G (third generation) mobile telephony communications protocol. It is established in the High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA) family. To have much higher data transfer speeds and capacity, it uses the Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS). It provides the speeds of up to 42 Mbit/s to 84 Mbit/s downlink. Well I think I have shown you the way for the HSDPA. So it is suggested to have the Mobile Phone that has the HSDPA within it and I am sure that you will have the goal of yours.
    No TechArena No Experts, Know TA know Experts!