Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android internet connection

Android internet connection

I live in mumbai,India.I just bought a HTC Wildfire(Android phone).I have a vodafone connection.I can use the browser using vodafone live.But the market,maps,etc do not work with vodafone live.I read about activating vodafone mobile connect but it costs 200Rs per month.What are the alternatives?

Re: Android internet connection

To find your location with Maps on your HTC Wildfire mobile phone, you need to enable location sources. To learn how, see below:

In order to find your location on your phone, you need to enable location sources.

1. From the Home screen, press MENU, and then tap Settings > Location.

2. Select one or both of the following:

A) Use wireless networks Uses Wi-Fi or your mobile data connection to find your approximate location.

B) Use GPS satellites Finds your exact GPS location. This requires a clear view of the sky and more battery power.

For, finding and installing apps from Android Market, read here.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I need to know the alternatives to vodafone live.

Quote Originally Posted by rohandvora View Post
    I need to know the alternatives to vodafone live.
    There are Many more like MTS, Reliance and BPL. But above all of them is Vodafone's service, that is Vodafone live in service and speed. If you think of vodafone mobile connect alternative than it is Airtel Mobile Office which much faster than any other, but it charges 25/- rs perday. You will be charged 450/- Rs per month that is much costlier than Vodafone. So its better to go with Vodafone mobile connect.

Docomo has a plan of Rs.98 per month with 6gb download limit.Is it worth or should I go with Vodafone Mobile Connect instead?

I would say that, the best out their is aircel gprs plan. The Aircel Pocket Internet Unlimited plan costs only Rs.98 for 30 days. Browsing is unlimited and the download charges are applicable depending on the product you download (like songs, ringtones, themes etc). What’s more, you can also use this plan to surf the Internet on your Desktop/Laptop. Just use a data card/USB or get a Bluetooth Dongle.

Thanks everyone.I'll probably go for aircel or DoCoMo.

smile Re: Android internet connection

Hi rohan

I feel your pain!

I purchased my Wildfire yesterday and I was all excited about Android and apps. After configuring my phone with Vodafone Live settings, only the browser worked. None of the apps did. I was almost convinced that I got a dud piece!
    Even Exchange Activesync did not work.

I called up HTC and they told me that I need MobileConnect for this to work.

Bit of a let down if you ask me. My colleague teased me because he was able to configure his Nokia to Microsoft Exchange through Vodafone Live.

Oh well...

smile Re: Android internet connection

I finally got rid of the problem.I bought a docomo card.The Internet service is quite good(maybe better than Vodafone).Now I can use everything on my wildfire.Its quite cheap as compared to Vodafone mobile connect.48Rs per month with 2GB download.

that's nice Rohan...

but at what cost? did you have to get a whole new number (because of the sim) just to enjoy the apps?

i was thinking of doing the same, but the thought of changing my number is not too inviting.

Ya.Thats right.But for me a new number would not matter much because I had hardly given the older number to a dozen friends.

If you have a tit bit knowledge about application developement then you can direclty work on the Andrio phone with the help of Andriod SDK. The new update of the SDK provides several bug fixes and additions at the API to include the creation of animated wallpapers. Note also that a new version of USB driver is available now and supports the Nexus One. This is a developement kit for Andriod phone which can help you a lot for such issues.

@ rohan : I activated Vodafone Mobile Connect on my sim the other day. What a world of difference!! Google Maps and Latitude is simply awesome.

Btw, Android 2.2, Froyo, has been officially launched for the HTC Wildfire

Any idea how we might we able to upgrade our 2.1 to 2.2? The Support section on the website does not indicate that an update is currently available.

You can then download and install the software update using your phone’s Wi-Fi or data connection.

Note: Checking and downloading phone software updates may incur additional data transfer fees from your mobile operator.

• Depending on the type of update, the update may erase all your personal data and customized settings, and also remove any applications you have installed. Make sure that you have backed up the information and files you want to keep.
    • Make sure you have your microSD card on your phone. The update will be downloaded to the microSD card.
    • When there is an update available, the Install system software update dialog box will appear onscreen. Select Install now and then tap OK.
    • If you’re in the middle of a call and there’s an update available, you’ll receive an update notification. After you end the call, slide open the Notifications panel. Then, tap the update notification to download and install the software update

For more information check here.

Hi everyone. satyam here. This is my first day on techarena. I am planning (just about to order) to buy Htc wildfire. Can anybody confirm that it's working on Aircel pocket internet card (98/-) or not? This is my first post here and hope will get a answer. Please guys. help me out. Thanx in advace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast