Thread: Airtel broadband 512 Kbps connection sharing for 2 computers

Airtel broadband 512 Kbps connection sharing for 2 computers

Please help me in solving this issue. I have an Airtel broadband connection connected to the computer which has Windows XP on it. Recently I have bought a Sony laptop which has Windows 7 installed on it. Now I want to share the same internet connection on both the computers and hence need your help. I have a Beetel 110BXI ADSL2+ MODEM and a D-Link Ethernet switch DES-1008D using which I want to share the connection. So if any of you have successfully implemented Airtel broadband 512 Kbps connection sharing for 2 computers then please share some information. Thanks in advance.

Re: Airtel broadband 512 Kbps connection sharing for 2 computers

Before implementing any hardware solutions for sharing of the connection, I would suggest that you contact the customer support of Airtel and be sure if the sharing of the same connection is allowed between two computers. Many of the ISP's do not allow the sharing of the connection between two computers. For preventing the sharing of Internet connection, the ISP's track the MAC address of the devices which are connected. If the sharing of connection is not supported by the ISP then there is no use in implementing any hardware solution.

As you have a switch, you can easily share the connection between two computers. Configure the network as per the settings which are given below and see if the Internet is working on the both the computer. Connect the phone line to the Modem and then connect one CAT5 cable from the ethernet port of the modem to the Switch. Now connect both the computers to the switch using an Ethernet cat 5 cable. In the TCP/IP properties of both the computers, keep the "Obtain IP address Automatically" option selected. Save and apply the settings.

No you will not be able to share the connection by implementing the network as described above. Airtel tracks the Mac address of all the devices which are connected and hence you will not be able to access the same internet connection using a switch. You will have to buy a separate router for sharing the same connection.

There is a beetel wireless router available with an Airtel connection. The series of the router which you are using does not have Wireless capability and to share the connection between different computers, you will require a new router with Wireless capability. Buy a new Beetel 450 BX router which has Wireless capability and configure it properly. After configuring the router properly, you will be able to share the internet connection on both the computers.

I bought the new router and configured it properly to share the connection. Now when the laptop is tried to connect to the router, it shows the status as connected but there is no Internet connection available on the laptop. Is there any more configuration required to share the connection? Please help.

As the laptop is running on Windows 7 operating system, you will have to disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7 in order to connect the laptop to the router. To disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7, go to network connection and open the TCP/IP utilities. Go to properties and remove the check mark from "Enable IPv6 support". Save and apply the settings. Reboot the system and then connect it to the router.