Thread: Airtel Fair Usage Policy

Airtel Fair Usage Policy

Hi,
    Airtel is one more preferred ISP provider for the local market. I have Airtel broadband connection of 512 kbps. The speed and download is quiet nice than other service provides. Here I had got a update about the Fair Usage Policy of airtel where they are going to impose certain limits for the unlimited internet connection. I need some information on the same.

Re: Airtel Fair Usage Policy

Airtel's Fair usage policy is just applied to provide regular and adequate access to the users. There is some limitation on the unlimited downloads. Like for example you have a 128 kpgs connection then your monthly download limit is 10GB. You will not be able to download after that. Then for 256 kbps the limit is 15 GB and 20GB for 384 kbps. In the same 25 GB for 512 kbps and 150 mb download limit for 1 mbps.

The Fair Usage Policy is implemented for a small number of consumers who download excessive amount data on the internet and consumes a high network bandwidth. It is designed in regards to limit those downloads so that all can enjoy a equal benefit. That does not matters you if you download less that what is mentioned above. The levels are pre-defined in this policy.

In Airtel's Fair Usage Policy if a user downloads unlimited data, after reaching to the fair usage level the other speed is restructured to 50% till the month end. Then you will redirected to a webpage which show you speed upgraded as compare to normal speed till the month end. The limit of downloading here remains unlimited but the only change is that you have download as per the usage level.

The data limit I think is capped but the download remains to work here. I am not able to figure out the exact reason behind implementing the Fair Usage Level. Here only the speed is getting affected. So that means if I pass the download limit then I get less speeds of data transfer and that too till the end of the month. I don't think this is quiet a good policy.

I have a 51 kbps like for which I pay Rs. 599 for monthly. I am getting a transfer limit of 5 GB for day which from 8 to 10 and unlimited download for night which is 10 to 8. So here all users are usually restricted to an limit of downloads if you passed the fair usage level. It is just to stop the usage of extensive bandwidth consumption. The ratio is set 50:1 for that.