Thread: Performance of EVDO in Pune

Performance of EVDO in Pune

I wanted to inquire about the newest mobile internet service provided by BSNL- EVDO. I stay in Pune and wanted your views on the performance of this newest internet connection facility provided by BSNL in Pune. Is the speed actually appropriate and does not it degrades with time? Is there a huge down-time noted in this type of connection? Please provide your views and information on the BSNL- EVDO in Pune.

Re: Performance of EVDO in Pune

The BSNL EVDO is a 3G based internet connection. This is usually used in mobile phones now-a-days which come with 3G compatibility. BSNL has made use of this technology to provide internet. QUALCOMM had developed this technology. It has been promised to provide internet speed of upto 2.4 mbps.

I have purchased the EVDO USB modem just four days ago. I was said that the internet connection will be activated within 24 hours. But it has been three days and the connection is yet not activated. So I guess you should think twice before getting the EVDO connection. I would comment on the speed only after I am able to browse the internet. I suggest you to also try out Reliance Net connect.

In case you are going to use the internet only for the basic usage then EVDO 3G connection is quite good. This connection is not yet recommended for playing online games. I have read that it gives upto 292 kbps speed. But still it takes time to load high graphical web pages. So I suggest you to use a wired connection rather then the wireless connection.

BSNL provides EVDO connection on the ZTE AC8700 modem. Yes its very true that uptill now a number of its users are facing issues in terms of internet connectivity and internet speed. So it is more wiser to get connection from another Internet Service Provider rather than BSNL. An alternative can be Airtel or Reliance.

The performance of EVDO internet is based on many external conditions. As this is a wireless internet connection technology the distance from the signal towers does tends to deteriorate the signal strength. Also tall buildings in your area might prove a hurdle for the internet connectivity. I have an EVDO connection and as the tower is near to my place the connection is working quite well for me.

jameandrew Guest

I have been using EVDO for last 2 years now and let me tell you its not worth your money.I would suggest you to wait for 3G auction to get over and hopefully by october Private players will launch their 3G services.
    Here is my experience with EVDO
    Firstly very poor customer service
    secondly Speed was good initially but as the user grew speed become less and they didnt upgrade the tower.
    ROaming not available yet.Only inter state and zonal roaming available.