Thread: Why cant I use Hathway connection on my Laptop?

Why cant I use Hathway connection on my Laptop?

I have a Hathway Internet connection which is connected to the Desktop computer which is running on Windows XP. I bought a new laptop which is installed with Windows 7 on it. I plugged in the cable from the Hathway modem to my laptop but I am not able to access to Internet. Therefore I want to know Why cant I use Hathway connection on my Laptop? If there is any way in which I can access Internet on the Laptop then please let me know. Any suggestions regarding the topic are welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Heather5; 29-01-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Re: Why cant I use Hathway connection on my Laptop?

First contact your Internet service provider and ask them if they allow the sharing of the same connection between two computers or not. Many of the ISP's do not allow the sharing of the same connection between two computers. If the ISP does not allow the sharing connection then you will not be able to access the Internet on your laptop using the same internet connection. ISP's track the MAC address of the computers which are connected to the network. Tracking the Mac address helps the ISP's to differ the services to the computers which are connected to the network.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

Just plugging in the Wire from the desktop computer into the laptop will not help you in accessing the Internet on the laptop. To be able to access Internet on the laptop you will have to do certain settings on the Laptop. Open the network connections and then open the properties of the TCP/IP utilities on the desktop computer. Now configure the laptop according to the settings of the desktop computer and then save the settings. After these settings you will be able to access the Internet on the laptop.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Hathway broadband track the MAC addresses of the devices which are connected to their connection. Hence doing the above settings only will not help you in accessing Internet on the laptop. You will have to clone the MAC address of the desktop computers NIC on to the NIC of the Laptop. To clone the Mac address, open command prompt on the desktop computer and type ipconfig. Now note the physical address and then right click on the Lan on the Laptop. Now select properties and then click on configure. Select the Network address and then enter the physical address of the NIC of the desktop computer. Now apply the settings. Now you will be able to access Internet on the laptop without any issue.
    No TechArena No Experts, Know TA know Experts!

The Default IP version of Windows Xp is IP version 4 whereas the default IP version of Windows 7 is IP version 6. Hence the laptop will not be able to access Internet while the IPv6 support is enabled on the laptop. You will have to disable the IPv6 support on the laptop first. To disable the IPv6 support, right click on the LAN on laptop and select properties. Select TCP/IP utilities and then click on Properties. Now remove the check mark against the IPv6 enable. Save and apply the settings and reboot the computer.