Thread: How to share MTNL connection using Linksys WRT54G?

How to share MTNL connection using Linksys WRT54G?

Hello there, I have a desktop computer which is running on Windows XP operating system. I have an MTNL Internet connection connected to the Desktop computer. I have a laptop and I want to share the same Internet connection with the desktop computer. The MTNL connection comes through UT-300R2U ADSL router which does not have Wireless capability. I have bought a new Linksys WRT54G router which is wireless enabled. Therefore I need Configuration for Linksys WRT54G to share MTNL connection. Also I want to know If I can use Linksys WRT54G and UT-300R2U ADSL router together to Share the connection or not? All the computers are running on Windows XP. Please help.

Re: How to share MTNL connection using Linksys WRT54G?

First I would like you to ask if MTNL allows sharing of the same Internet connection on different computers or not. Most of the ISP's do not allow the sharing of connection between two computers. If you connect multiple computers to the same connection then only one computer will be able to access the Internet as the ISP's track the Mac address of the computers using their internet connection. Tracking Mac address helps them in differing services to different computers connected to same connection. Therefore first check if MTNL allows sharing or not and then only connect the computers on the network.

Yes you can surely use the Linksys WRT54G router and UT-300R2U ADSL router together to share the MTNL connection. To be able to share the connection using both the routers, you will have to configure the UT-300R2U as the main router and Linksys WRT54G as the Wireless Access point. Configure the router as per the steps given below.
    1) Connect UT-300R2U to the computer using the USB cable and then configure the router according to the settings provided by the ISP.
    2) Now select PPPoE as the connection method and enter your username and password for MTNL connection.
    3) Turn on the DHCP on the router ( After enabling Check Internet connectivity).
    4)Now using the LAN cable connect both the routers.
    5) Using another LAN cable connect the laptop to the Linksys router.
    6) Now login to the Linksys router by entering the Default IP.
    7) Once the configuration page opens, Select PPPoE as the method and enter the User name and password.
    8) Select the encryption WEP or WAP whichever you like and note down the key value.
    9) At last Turn off the DHCP of the Linksys router.
    Save the settings and exit the wizard. Now you will be able to share the connection on both the computers without any problems.

As the Linksys is a Powerful router than the UT-300R2U, it is suggested that you use Linksys as the main router and UT-300R2U as a bridge. Linksys can handle more traffic efficiently and hence should be used as the Main router. Configure the routers as follows :-
    1.Loginto the UT-300R2U router through a PC and configure it in the Bridge mode ( Refer the user manual for details)
    2. Turn off the DHCP on the router.
    3. Save and exit the setup.
    4. Now login to the Linksys router from a PC.
    5. In the configuration page, select the mode of communication as PPPoE.
    6. Enter the account details of the Internet connection in the fields provided.
    7. Turn on the DHCP on the router.
    8. Set authentication password and the encryption type.
    9. Now save the settings and reboot the router.
    After all this configuration, connect the two routers using a CAT 5 cable. After all this settings there will be no problem in sharing the MTNL connection.

Actually there is no need to connect the Linksys router in between as the connection can directly shared from the UT-300R2U router itself. Every router has upto 4 Ethernet ports which means four devices can be connected to the same router using LAN cable. Take a Straight Ethernet cable and connect the Laptop to the router at one of the port of the router. Open the Network connection on the Laptop and then right click on the LAN and select properties. Now if the DHCP is enabled on the router, then Select "Obtain IP address automatically". Now enter the DNS and preferred DNS server as configured by the ISP on the other computer. Put the IP address of the router in the Default gateway address. Apply the settings. The LAN will disable and then enable again. If all configurations are correct you will be able to share the same connection on both the computers.
    No TechArena No Experts, Know TA know Experts!