Thread: Difference between 3g and HSDPA networks

Difference between 3g and HSDPA networks

Just few days back i have heard that 3g network has been launched in Chennai. I would like to know that what is HSDPA then? What is the differences between 3g and HSDPA networks? Does any body knows the actual differences between this two network? Kindly provide me the correct information on the above topic. Also suggest me whether i should buy out 3g mobile or 3g with HSDPA. Any kind of suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Difference between 3g and HSDPA networks

The major difference between 3G and 2G networks is how quickly data can be sent & received. It is known as a 3.5G (G stands for generation) technology. 3G (HSDPA) networks can send data up to 10 times faster than traditional 2G networks. HSDPA, short for High-Speed Downlink Packet Access, is a new protocol for mobile telephone data transmission.

HSDPA is faster than 3G. This is mainly because most people think 3G is slow anyway. 3G is based upon the ITU family of standards under the IMT-2000 program. 3G technologies allow carriers / network operators to offer more advanced services besides voice. These services are video and data all in the mobile environment. It is based on the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) family of standards under the IMT-2000.

Both are used to connect your network for Internet. If your phone has 3G or HSDPA support, the only way NETWORK that supports it. 3G HSDPA is a 3G enhancement. 3G networks enable network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency. HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access) is a new mobile data protocol and is sometimes referred to as a 3.5G. 3.5G is faster than 3G. It is actually means HSDPA-High Speed Downlink Packet Access. Services include wide-area wireless voice telephony, video calls, and broadband wireless data, all in mobile environment.

waqyum Guest

When 3G has arrived so late 3.5G may take at least 5 more years to launch in India.

waqyum Guest

3G offers 384 Kbps speed whereas HSDPA offers 3.6 Mbps speed.

pihu Guest

3G is the common name for the third generation of mobile phone technologies. But instead of being a single standard, 3G is composed of multiple technologies that provide the same level of service. HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) is a later addition to the 3G technologies to provide better and faster data speeds to subscribers.

3G is an improvement of the older 2G standard and introduces multiple advanced features. The most significant is video calling, which allows the two parties to see each other during the call. Another improvement is the much faster internet connection speeds that are being offered by 3G. But as more people are using the service and the demand for better and faster connection rose, HSDPA was added to 3G. HSDPA does not offer any new features like 3G did, it simply offered a faster connection that the 3G features can take advantage of.

HSDPA also provides better latency compared to the older technologies of 3G. Latency is the time between the request was sent and the time for the reply to get back. This might not be noticeable for most people who use their mobile phones to browse web sites, but it is quite important for people who use real-time services like VoIP. A higher latency results to lag in the voice signal or dropped packets which can deteriorate the call quality.

Implementing HSDPA is quite a big step for mobile companies who are still using the older 2G standard. As with all 3G technologies, HSDPA is not compatible with 2G and requires a new network altogether. But for companies who already have 3G networks deployed, implementing HSDPA is relatively cheap and simple that there is really no argument against deploying it. Aside from the network side, mobile phones must have HSDPA capabilities in order to take advantage of the added speed. Just because a mobile phone advertises that it is capable of 3G does not mean that is capable of performing at HSDPA speeds.

Thanks

hai friends i have a hsdpa usb dongle modem &i want to use this in my desktop pc is hsdp facilities available in india.my stata is kerala, is any network providers like idea,airtel giving this servise please post your replay soon

3g and HSDPA
    • 3G is a cluster of technologies for mobile phone communications whereas HSDPA is an extension of the 3G technologies to offer extremely faster speeds
    • 3G launched new functions like video calling and TV on the go
    • HSDPA offers improved latency compared to the traditional 3G technology
    • HSDPA is comparatively simple and cheap upgrade to existing 3G networks