Thread: Fastest Mobile Broadband for Travelling Backpacker

Fastest Mobile Broadband for Travelling Backpacker

Hello, I am from Australia and I am visiting India in November and travelling throughout much of India by rail over three months. I would like a fast (EVDO or HSDPA) 3G service over as much of India as possible, but realise that in remote areas and on trains between cities it will fall back to slower speeds.

So if price was no problem and I would need 5-10GB a month, which provider offers:

1) Wide 3G coverage
    2) Reliable 2G fall back in remote areas and on rail
    3) No 12 month+ contracts

I am hoping a bit of local knowledge can help me, because most indian users would not be roaming as far and wide I will be throughout each district, therefore it is hard to find previous threads discussing this subject.

I also am looking to get an iPhone 3GS so if there was a network that supports it that would be nice, but if I am going to get a better solution from a non-iphone USB dongle using EVDO then I am fine to do that.

Thanks for your help in advance

Re: Fastest Mobile Broadband for Travelling Backpacker

Sorry to inform you,, but 3g is not available in India yet (will be coming in the end or begging of 2010 ) . I just know that reliance and Tata has the fastest wireless connection in India for know . See this thread for more help : Reliance Evdo Or TATA Indicom Photon which is Best
    Tata Indicom Photon Vs Reliance Netconnect Broadband in Mumbai

Coverage :

TATA Indicom has extremely poor coverage and is available in Certain parts of Chennai,Bangalore,Mumbai,Jammu and Kashmir and North east. Call TATA Indicom customer care before opting for this as they havent provided any coverage map.

Reliance fares better in this covering 35 cities and covers most part of the cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Ahmadabad etc. Reliance claims to have 4200 towers capable of Wireless broadband and according to Reliance (yes as per reliance comparision chart) TATA Indicom has 300 photon enabled towers.
    Hope this give you a idea

Re: Fastest Mobile Broadband for Travelling Backpacker

TATA Indicom Photon USB Modem and Reliance broadband plus is 20 times faster with speed upto 3.1Mbps. Fastest uploads at a speed of upto 1.8 Mbps. Reliance High Speed 1X network to ensure seamless connectivity across 20000 towns & 5 lakh villages, as well as along major highways, railway routes, airport lounges and remote locations in India.

Check here : Reliance Evdo DATA card Tariff