Thread: Tracking broadband downtime

Tracking broadband downtime

The broadband that I am using has a lot of downtime in the last month. The same story is continuing in this month as well. I tried to explain them about the downtime but they are not accepting that the downtime is this much. So I want a software or something.. a trick like.. that can help me track the downtime of my broadband ISP so that I can show them the report of it.

Re: Tracking broadband downtime

What is your broadband ISP? Dont you have a login account on their website which shows the login details of your username to the internet? In my internet connection, I am provided a software through which I can login to internet and that itself maintains a record of my login and logout time on their site which I can access. If internet downtime is there I can simply show them the record why I could not log in.

I dont have such software provided by my ISP. My ISP is IOL. There is also no login account for this ISP for the users and no records are maintained that can be accessed by the users.

I have used a product called ServersAlive for going on 6 years now. It will do almost anything you want as far a server monitoring. It has a free version that only lets you set up 10 monitors. For internet access I set up a ping to 4.2.2.2 (AT&T's DNS servers) it will log it in a text file so you can send it to tech support. A Computer has to be on all the time but most of us can do that. ServersAlive would not be a good product to share with a gaming rig. ServersAlive will take a few cycles during its use.
    http://www.woodstone.nu/salive/

It will depend where your downtime is coming from and how downtime is defined. Generally downtime occurs because of a loss of connection external to your network so you would need a monitor that takes into account the type of connection problem that you are seeing.

IOL cannot monitor this type of problem. Even your router likely cannot monitor this unless it has an interface becoming directly disconnected.

What you could do is pick an external machine to monitor but you will be alerted to an outage anytime that that machine becomes unreachable whether it is a network drop or something else.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

Some softwares are available on internet from tracking network and internet downtime but I dont know how trusted and reliable they are. Well, IOL is all famous for its downtime records. I had this connection earlier and had to switch to InterNext WiMax to get rid of their bloody downtimes.

IOL net Downtime is more compare to other ISP