Thread: Idea Netsetter download speed slow

Idea Netsetter download speed slow

Problems with my netsetter were resolved and now connections are establishes at 238.6 speed. This is OK for web browsing but I am never able to get download speeds faster than 3 kbps. I would like to understand the reason for this. I am using AVG Free anti-virus and can this slow down the speed? I am regularly defragmenting, deleting temp files etc. I am getting much better speed with my Virgin mobile cdma connection though I have not tried it recently. Please advise, many thanks in advance.

Vishwa
    Rishikesh

Re: Idea Netsetter download speed slow

Have you check speed from different location ? Idea Netsetter speed is depends on network if there is some network problem in your area then you will not get download speed much. So first check download speed from different location.

It seems that many users who have got Idea Netsetter have the same problem with the low download speed that they are getting. Also the customer care cannot resolve this issue. So do one thing that is better than plug and surf devices use Airtel GPRS internet connection through your mobile by connecting PC i am using it, will cost u less than others and giving same speed and you will be little bit frustrated.
    xp1800 overclocked to 2.4ghz
    an35n-400u mobo
    256mb of adata ddr500
    maxtor dimondmax8 40gb 7200rpm
    geforce4 ti4400
    52x32x52x16 cd-rw/dvd combo
    Tt 420watt psu

Download speed is slower in places with weaker signal strength. It would be a good idea to check beforehand the Idea network strength at the places you are most likely to use it.

Hey!
    Well you must understand that your computer speed has nothing to do with the internet speed... When you get the session speed at 238.6 kbps. That means its just the connection speed and not your actual speed. Well mobile broadband never provide the speed they promise. Thats true because if your internet speed is truely 238.6 kbps which meand kilobits per second that means you download speed should be 238.6/8 that makes it to 29.825kbps that is kilobytes per second...! But as you say that you get only upto 3 kbps. Thats not the problem of your computer nor your phone. The problem is with the Idea. Well its not actually a problem but that is one of their tactics to show speed to attract customers... Well i guess Airtel is much better in that sense...!

Hello , I Have used both the idea netsetter and tata plug to surf wiz , The average bandwidth provided by Tata Plug-2-Surf is definately better than Idea Netsetter. but idea netsetter provides good bandwidth after 9pm. During day time the speed is next to ZERO ,Neither the speed is up to the mark nor is the connectivity. the download speed on avg is ony 5-6 kbps. The connections gets drops automatically and I have lost several downloading documents and have to re down load again.

Thank you, dear friends, for your messages and they are all very relevant to the issue.

I saw another message in this forum that recommended Internet Download Manager or IDM. After installing this software, I have started getting speeds of up to 18-20 kbps which is quite adequate for my purposes.

I have also noted suggestions regarding Airtel etc but having invested on this stick I am reluctant to change. Also its cost of Rs 750 for unlimited use suits my budget all the more so because it can be taken to any other location, unlike a broadband connection.

Finally, speed is one thing and bandwidth is another. I am getting good bandwidth mainly because this network is not very popular where I live, Rishikesh.

Best wishes

Vishwa

Quote Originally Posted by vishwarishikesh View Post
    Finally, speed is one thing and bandwidth is another. I am getting good bandwidth mainly because this network is not very popular where I live, Rishikesh.
    To a normal user, bandwidth=speed. However, as you know this isn't necessarily the same. However, I think the 1Mbps Bandwidth and the 1Mbps speed = they mean the same thing to the user.

To me, a network engineer, speed = latency and bandwidth=throughput. However, throughput doesn't rely on bandwidth alone.

Users don't understand latency and the need to take it into account depending on the type of protocol being used to move data - the difference in a 100ms connection and using UDP vs. TCP.

I try to explain it to laypeople that bandwidth is the size of the highway, or door. How many cars or people you can get through abreast depends on the bandwidth. If you use different size cars (protocols) - some of them are naturally wider than others, so you can get more cars through, or less.

Pragmatic Guest

Some anti virus programs also slow down the net speed. Secondly, if you are using PC instead of laptop, there might be ‘earthing’ some where.