Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TATA Indicom High Speed HSIA Photon USB Modem

TATA Indicom High Speed HSIA Photon USB Modem

Tata Indicom introduces Photon, its new High Speed Internet Access (HSIA) service. Photon - the next generation technology offers a great wireless internet connectivity solution. With Tata Indicom’s Photon you now have access to the internet at never before speeds

The new USB Modem enables you to experience Tata Indicom’s Photon service from wherever you are. So now go ahead and subscribe to this innovative new service from Tata Indicom along with the new USB Modem & enjoy a truly world class, first of its kind internet experience.

speed
    With Tata Indicom’s Photon - High Speed Internet Access Service you now have access to internet at super fast speeds using the new USB modem.2.4 Mbps (Downlink speed) Actual internet speed will depend on multiple factors like time of the day, number of simultaneous users, web page accessed etc.

Internet on the go:
    With the new USB Modem you also now have the convenience of being able to access Tata Indicom’s Photon service ( High Speed Internet Access ) from wherever you are.

Plug and Play:
    All you now need to do is just plug the USB Modem into your Laptop/Desktop PC and you are ready to access a whole new world of High speed internet connectivity.

USB interface:
    With the USB port interface you can now simply plug the USB Modem device into either a Laptop or your Desktop PC & get ready to access high speed internet connectivity.

Multi-functional Device:
    The new USB Modem device forming part of its Photon service also allows you to make voice calls, Send & Receive SMS. It also supports your Laptop/Desktop PC earphone and microphone.

Tata Indicom's Photon - High Speed Internet Access ( HSIA ) service can be accessed only in those areas where Tata Indicom has Photon service coverage.

TATA Indicom HSIA Photon USB Modem Tariff plan

Here is the aTariff plan for High Speed Internet Access USB

Common Voice / SMS tariffs for all three above plans:

Voice: Local (any network): Rs. 1.25/min
    Inter circle (any network): Rs.2.65/min
    ILD (any country): Rs.12/min

Local (any network): Re. 1/message
    Inter circle (any network): Rs.2/message
    ILD (any country): Rs.5/message

TATA Indicom HSIA Photon USB Modem is realy good if it's providing speed of 256 Kbps. Is this available in Mumbai ?

Re: TATA Indicom High Speed HSIA Photon USB Modem

This service is presently available only at select areas of Chennai.

Now High Speed HSIA Photon USB Modem available in Jammu & kashmir Circle.

is TATA indicom is not planing for 3G?
    Last edited by pintu; 14-02-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Badrinath, i recently got HSIA Unlimited Plan in Bangalore. I am impressed with bandwidth but 1,500 per month is a bit expensive do you think the prices will be down anytime sooner.

Hi,

I want to take up this connection in Chennai and have the following questions:

1. Is it good? I mean what will be avg. speed in chennai. even if I get 1 mbps its good for me.

2. What about roaming? Currently Service is available in Chennai, J & K and Assam. As the service spreads, will I be able to avail the service outside chennai?

any info would be really helpful..

Wriju

You can use TATA Indicom High Speed HSIA Photon USB Modem in all circle currently TATA indicom not charging extra for roaming charges. If High Speed not available in some circle then you can access internet at normal speed like max 144 Kbps.

I have a different type of complaint... I took the connection 3 days back and the person who came to install it was just pathetic.. He does not even know what a device manager is and what is the difference between installing a software and updating a firmware, but he does all these job as it was taught to him.. I had to sit and troubleshoot atlast to help him complete the installation... And now my connection shows as HSIA and stuffs.. But u know what, u know the download speed which I am getting i
    s as low as 4KB/S to around 14KB/S.. it was only once it crossed 104 KB/S and within the next 10 mins it came down again to 8KB/S. I thought it wud be a problem with my comp because it had virus in it and i reinstalled the entire OS, still the same problem. Thaought it will be a problem with the loction where i am staying. SO i took the modem to one of my friends house and tried it there and the result was still the same. Thats the reason i was pretty surprised when i saw no complaints about the speed> Am I the only unlucky person or is there any one else with me aswell>

HI!
    This is Shfz from Shillong India, man! you're absolutely right about this bloody PHOTON , i didn't experienced any speed on it. but still hoping for TATA INDICOM to do something and get rid of this troubling shit of speed. otherwise i have no option but to suck this thing off..

hi,this is om and i have been almost ripped off.i took a tata indicom photon + connection 13 (8-21 apr)days back.my credit limit for it is 1100,anything downloaded extra is 2rs/mb.(which has not been mentioned when i bought it)

i used the stupid thing only to check 5 mails and it got diconnected 2 days back.i recieved a bill of 32,965+outstanding=3,998.and when i went to complain that i haven't used it they started showing records of me downloading(16786) and uploading(1587) numerous amounts.when i kept insisting that i haven't used it they insist that i have to pay the bill,why should i pay the bill for something i haven't used?they offered to give me 7,000 discount at the least when my point is I HAVEN'T USED IT.

in the record it is also showing a usage of 2 and half hours of usage the day after my photon was disconnected.when i complained about that they are saying that we will see about that next month.and the customer people talk to me as if am doing all this to avoid paying the bill.indirectly they are disprespecting the customer.

if i had used it i would have payed it in blink of an eye,my point is why should i pay when i've not used it?am deciding to sue them.

[You are absolute right I am at shillong got conection on 27 th the same problem i am facing . i gave complian now thingking to return the photon and go for consumer court

idea Re: TATA Indicom High Speed HSIA Photon USB Modem

Everybody please don't fall for this Tata Indicom Photon+ advertisement.They promise 3.1 mbps and they could deliver only 10 kbps(kilobytepersec) which is pathetic(I can post screenshot if you want).Also their billing is very tricky, it comes to thousands even before you finish one month usage.In other words, the speed is slow and the bill is high.
    If you don't believe me, just visit their forum and you will see all the complaints there, ranging from low speed to high bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Huri Hura View Post
    Everybody please don't fall for this Tata Indicom Photon+ advertisement.They promise 3.1 mbps and they could deliver only 10 kbps(kilobytepersec) which is pathetic(I can post screenshot if you want).Also their billing is very tricky, it comes to thousands even before you finish one month usage.In other words, the speed is slow and the bill is high.
    If you don't believe me, just visit their forum and you will see all the complaints there, ranging from low speed to high bill.
    I hesitate to mention that it seems possible that some people are mixing up their bits and bytes.

While your complaint is legitimate, a 3.1 megabit connection should allow about 300 kilobytes per second download speed after the network overheads, and assuming good network conditions. The fact that you are getting under 128 kilobits per second does mean that the service is experiencing high volumes of traffic, or is simply atrocious.

In addition, if Photon+ "unlimited" is anything similar to Reliance Netconnect+, you'll find that "unlimited" actually means there is a 10 GB limit - ensure you read the small print in the advertising materials and on your contract: this seems to be how the game is played in India, and not being from here, personally I am wary of anything they call "unlimited".

Of course, all these data caps are completely stupid, because Reliance and Tata each own and operate the 3 major cables that carry international traffic between Asia and Europe via India (SMW3 and SMW4 are owned by Tata, and FLAG is owned by Reliance) - they have many terabits of capacity each, yet something like 80% of it is not even lit up for reasons I can not even begin to fathom.

Even Airtel's wired broadband has a "fair use limit" of 100GB per month (Mumbai) - I don't think Bharti's international cable is active yet, but I believe it's due to light up sometime in the next year or so.

Sidenote:
    The ISP which I have recently started will be attempting to do away with restrictive data caps and low less-than-broadband speeds, with plans ranging from 1 megabit to 160 megabits (and 1 megabit to 6 megabits for mobile users).

I can't say too much more yet, but I'd like to receive PMs from people (particularly in the Mumbai/NM/Thane area) regarding what they want from an ISP (apologies in advance to admin if such a request is not allowed - happy to edit this post if needed).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast