Thread: Upgrade power supply for HP Media Center M8430F

Upgrade power supply for HP Media Center M8430F

Hey guys, just got a brand new Media Center with a Q6600 in it and I bought a BFG 9800 GTX OC video card. Well, long story short, the power supply does not meet the minimum requirements for the card and I'd like to upgrade to maybe a Corsair or the like. The question is, will it fit in my case?? I had an older HP Workstation before and tried to upgrade the P/S (with a cheapo), but the screws didn't line up at all and it seems like this case is the same as the other one.

I'm worried that if the new power supply is any larger than the stock one, it might hit my CPU fan.

Here is a link to the specs:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...&cc=ca&lang=en
    Can anyone help me out here please?

Thanks in advance,

~Tim

cant judge whats the height & width by looking on the site, but for a 9800gtx u def. need 600-700 watt power supply.

have a look here as well - Power Supply List
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

By the way, I bought an aftermarket BFG 650W ATX power supply and it screwed right in!!
    Got my 9800 GTX video card and it is crewzin!!!

Thanks for your reply!
    ~Tim

Did the 9800 gx fit in yo m8430f?

I am at the same place you were, and after inspecting my rig (m8430f) it looks like the 9800 gx2 i ordered might hit the SATA connections on the MOBO. I also ordered the 750 corsair supply and don't forsee any problems with that going in. I have always custom built my PC for the last 10 years but this was such a good setup that I did not think I could have built something equivilant for the price. I am looking for someone who has gone through the tweaking process of this model so that I do not waste any money or time trying to get to where I want this to be. Any info would be great.

Did the 9800 gx fit in your m8430f?

I am at the same place you were, and after inspecting my rig (m8430f) it looks like the 9800 gx2 i ordered might hit the SATA connections on the MOBO. I also ordered the 750 corsair supply and don't forsee any problems with that going in. I have always custom built my PC for the last 10 years but this was such a good setup that I did not think I could have built something equivilant for the price. I am looking for someone who has gone through the tweaking process of this model so that I do not waste any money or time trying to get to where I want this to be. Any info would be great.

I had to move my SATA cables (the OS saw it with no changes to the BIOS) over to the outside edge. The 9800GX is crazy good.
    Good luck, feel free to email me or post here with any other questions.
    ~Tim

How many drives do you have? I currently have two HDD's and two optical. I thought I saw somewhere that the main drive with your recovery partion had to be on the SATA0 connection. Did you have any problems or did your install go smooth?

Got my stuff and finished the upgade.

I got my card yesterday and my power supply today along with an 8 gb set of OCZ high performance. I was suprised to find my ps did not have modular cableing and thought I was never going to get every thing to fit. I took my time and and routed all of the unneeded cables up under the master hard drive. I powered eveything up and it all worked first run. This is the largest upgrade that has ever gone so smooth that I have ever done.

Windows only reports 512mb of dedicated video ram

My card has 1gb. What does yours say?

Planning on buying

Hi, i am planning on buying the m8430f system.

I was wondering if i can run Crisis on it with the stock graphics card, GeForce 8500GT. And i was wondering if its worth it to buy the tower by itself for $800 CAD (which is about $780US)? Sorry, not much of a pro so dont know what other information i might need to provide.

Thank you very much!