Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 26-04-2008

Dell Latitude D830-Shutdown watching video on youtube

Experience problem with Dell Latitude D830 -Windows Vista Business-when playing video on you tube, after a few seconds systems shutsdown completely
Have to restart with power button and screen appears to start windows normally or safe mode
Dell cannot get solution
Also does the same with Logitech Webcam on Skype and windows media player
Did anybody experienced the same problem, please hep
Old 25-07-2008

have you tried repairing windows
Old 21-04-2009

Re: Dell Latitude D830-Shutdown wacthing video on youtube

Hi

Running XP pro SP3

have the same proble of laptop shutting down when using SKYPE with a logitech pro notebook camera.
No other shutdown issues.
Fresh install of windows does not seem to fix it.

Could it be a dsiplay driver conflict with Logitech camera or skype?

Anybody seen the same
Old 21-04-2009

Forgot to add that I am using the Nvidia driver from Dell.
R205373.exe (dell sw part number). Not sure of it's equivalent version from NVIDIA
Old 21-04-2009

Right Click my computer-->Properties-->Advanced-->Startup and Recovery-->Settings-->(untick) Automatically Restart-->OK
This will not fix the problem but will give you an error message and chance to debug.
Old 04-05-2009

I have had this very same thing happen for the past 5-6 months. It's VERY annoying. Not only is my battery shot (9-cell that only lasts an hour), but this occurs when I have the audio on a video up past the halfway mark.

I also have the NVidia 140 chip instead of the Intel graphics. Worst upgrade I've ever done.........
Old 04-05-2009

Hey!
If i were in your place, i would first try replacing the battery. Well if this isn't solving the problem, post back...! All the best!
Old 05-05-2009

Re: Dell Latitude D830-Shutdown watching video on youtube

Just an update. I have reinstalled the Video and Sound drivers straight from the D830 drivers page for Vista 32-bit. Am still having the issue.

I will be getting a new battery shortly and will update as to whether this fixes the issue or not.
Old 08-05-2009

Just put in a new battery. Laptop lasts a lot longer and BIOS sees battery as fine.

Problem is this still occurs. I have a tech coming out to replace the motherboard on Monday. We'll see if that fixes things...
Old 02-02-2010

Resurrecting an old thread (don't blame me, blame google )

But hey, I have the exact same system and the exact same problem:

hard shutdowns when using youtube, skype video calls, or playing flash-based browser games.

Latest driver installed from Nvidia.com (released in Dec. '09). Tried with three different OS's (Vista 32, 32-bit Linux, and 64-bit Linux). Fan is fully operational, and there are no obstructions to the cooling system. Thermal monitors indicate that the temp is not a problem, so I don't think that is it anyway.

Anyone ever resolve this issue? Dell is sending out a replacement mobo (for the second time!).
Old 02-02-2010

Did you checked the battery lock tab, they are engaged or not?. Actually power is being jump between even if you are using the house power applied through the charger. So the PC got shut down with the spike that are connected through it. Most probably this is the thing that are happening with you
Old 02-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxforu View Post
Did you checked the battery lock tab, they are engaged or not?. Actually power is being jump between even if you are using the house power applied through the charger. So the PC got shut down with the spike that are connected through it. Most probably this is the thing that are happening with you
Not sure what the lock tab is. But this occurs both when on battery power, and when on AC with the battery removed.

Edit: oh, and have run the Dell diagnostic tool from CD. It took like two hours of scanning every little piece of hardware in this box - and gave it a clean bill of health.

Last edited by manoynmonic : 02-02-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: add info

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , , ,