Thread: Noisy Smps Fan

Noisy Smps Fan

I have a Mercury SMPS in my rig consisting of ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Mobo,ATHLON XP 2400+,256MBX2 DDR 400 RAM,SEAGATE BARRACUDA 40GB 7200 RPM HDD. Of late, the SMPS fan is making an awful noise at start up, but the sound subsides after a while and runs okay. I vacuum cleaned the PC case (KOB-132) and the noise has subsided a bit, but it has not gone away entirely. Should I replace the fan with a new one ?

same problems with me, I've a Mercury motherboard and Intex ATX cabinet and SMPS set and the fan is sounding like an old factory exhaust fan Yet to clean tho...
    www.techarena.in

+1
    my smps fan makes a crateling noise, as if hard disk has gone dead
    getting a powersafe psu, so not into troubleshooting that problem
    http://forums.techarena.in

Quote Originally Posted by daumaster
    the SMPS fan is making an awful noise at start up, but the sound subsides after a while and runs okay. I vacuum cleaned the PC case (KOB-132) and the noise has subsided a bit, but it has not gone away entirely. Should I replace the fan with a new one ?
    I think most of these fans make noise due to cold temps - in winter they seem to have some sort of problem - do the fans have grease which hardens in winter ? - I am not an expert on this topic but I know that fans have this problem only in Winter but not in Summer. Is this something to worry about - does anyone know ?? Even my Antec 120mm fan and the Zalman 7000a HS Fan make a little bit of noise on startup for a couple of minutes.

About the vacuum cleaning you mentioned - I read somewhere that vacuum cleaners create a lot of static electricity with the air flow itself and when the tip of the nozzle touches a part in the Case the static electricity flowing thru can damage them - TAKE CARE !! One other point mentioned was to never let the vacuum cleaner spin any fan with its suction force in the case as the fans can spin at very high speed and get damamged.
    Last edited by richard; 19-01-2005 at 08:54 AM.

SunMysore Guest
    Hmm...if the SMPS is beyond warranty, just put a resistor

that wud slow the fan resulting in heat
    http://forums.techarena.in

SunMysore Guest
    consequences......i'm pretty sure u'll do that

or better, get a potentiometer attached to the fan....keep it low in the nights, slightly higher duing the day

HI friend. Check out for the power supplies at www.antecindia.com. They are too good and they give real SMPS. Check out features and the range available.
    at the www.antecindia.com

HI can u check the Antec power supply range @ www.antecindia.com , nothing comes even close for the ratings they deliver. They are globally the No 1. In the quality case and power supplies. you can also find some state of art Case & power supply models. People would be amused to find these kind of features

Noisy Smps Fan

This noise can be stopped just by lifting (Slightly) your CPU Up from back side and kept it again with slightly weight.

In this case the "Grari" fits on the place and the noise stop automatically.

This is happened only in cold days.

With best regards

For any query related to Computer Software/ Hardware please contact me at

Administrator
    Vainya Computer Center
    C-8/270, Yamuna Vihar, Delhi - 110053
    pan_chet@hotmail.com, pan_chet@yahoo.com

(Pankaj Kumar Verma)
    9911160062, Fax: 011-22912806

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    I think most of these fans make noise due to cold temps - in winter they seem to have some sort of problem - do the fans have grease which hardens in winter ? - I am not an expert on this topic but I know that fans have this problem only in Winter but not in Summer. Is this something to worry about - does anyone know ?? Even my Antec 120mm fan and the Zalman 7000a HS Fan make a little bit of noise on startup for a couple of minutes.

About the vacuum cleaning you mentioned - I read somewhere that vacuum cleaners create a lot of static electricity with the air flow itself and when the tip of the nozzle touches a part in the Case the static electricity flowing thru can damage them - TAKE CARE !! One other point mentioned was to never let the vacuum cleaner spin any fan with its suction force in the case as the fans can spin at very high speed and get damamged.
    I heard also about vacuum cleaner could damage fans. My friend have to remove his board from the case and refresh the connections to get rid of the static electricity that causes his cpu not to boot for 2 days. It's fine now.

People would be amused to find these kind of features