Thread: Intel Q6600 High temps !!!

Intel Q6600 processor High temperature

Hi you all!
    My Story...
    I Just bought and assembled: So far it's working ok, but I'm told it's running too HOT.
    Intel CoreDuo2 Quad Q6600 CPU (2.4)
    Nvidia 8600GT 512MB / DDR2 GPU (Pci-ex16)
    CM 690 Coolermaster Mid ATX Chassis (Case)
    WINXP (Service Pack2)
    Three120mm case fans (I think they are only connected to the PSU)
    1)Raptor WD SataII 74 GB for apps and OS Hard drive

2)Western Digital SataII 500 GB Internal hard Drive for Storage

OK.
    Now after putting everything together and it seemingly is working well, does anyone have any idea what the average Intel Core Duo2 Quad (Q6600) 2.4CPU / Revision G0 / I have a MSI (Microstar P-35 Platinum Mobo) that came with DualCoreCenter Utility to monitor temp, fans,GPU, system temps.

I went to the BIOS and noticed that the CPU Temp was running at 61 c / 141 f !That sounds pretty high to me. The System Temp was 29 0 / 84 f. The TjMAX is @ 212F.

The Fan speed was 1775 RPMS. I do have a front case 80mm,and a rear 120mm fan, and a 120mm side case fan, ad they are working.

Is there website on Normal operating temperatures for the INTEL Processors? I went there but they pretty much say that's up to each individual, it's the liability I guess.

If anyone has the MSI P-35 Platinum Mainboard, and has installed the DuoCoreCenter utility, Do you pretty much set at default? I am not going to overclock.

I installed the DualCoreCenter Temp monitoring software from the MSI (Micro-Star) Mobo Utility Disc and I also downloaded CORETEMP (v0.96) software to see if it's mirrored or not.
    frequency is 2402.43 MHZ,
    Platform is LGA 775,
    VID is 1.2375v
    and the following temps:

Tj.Max - 212 F100C

CORE #O 142 F / 60C
    CORE #1 138 F / 59C
    CORE #2 126 F / 52C
    CORE #3 124 F / 51C

INTEL CoreDuo2 Q6600 2.4 Kentsfield Quad

A few peeps told me that check to see if the Stock Intel Fan is seated..That the HSF or the CPU is not seated correctly and to remove and clean 91% alchol and apply Artic Silver5 thermal paster.

I looked at the leg pins and AhHa! One was loose, I tightened it up and now it's a few degrees cooler. Do I want to go with the coolest I can get so long as it does not go past the 212F MAX?

I let the beast cool overnight and upon startup, I checked the Coretemp and it read the following >
    CORE # 0 > 136 F
    CORE # 1 > 133 F
    CORE # 2 > 120 F
    CORE # 3 > 120 F

Well, I could remove the piece of crap Intel HSF,clean off the contacts,re-apply the thermal compound and see if that works...OR remove (throw away) and replace with a new 3rd party HSF that sits on top of the board like the Intel does, OR remove the MoBo to install the HSF brackets,and find a heavy duty HSF, the paste,and put together.

I wish there would be a dependable,not too heavy, and not real expensive HSF I could place on top w/o removing the Mobo...lots of cabling,wires, cards,etc. to deal with.

Can anyone tell me what the highest temp possible to run without causing damage to the CPU, and the GPU?

Does anyone feel these are too high of temps?

Thanks again!
    Screenshot (attachments)

idea Hi There,

I seems that the temperature is not so high. I've checked with Intel regarding thermal specification for Q6600 and the threshold point is 71°C. BTW, Do you get any thermal overheating errors and does your system shutdowns or restart? If not then everything is fine. However, I hope you can enter BIOS and control the fan settings also.

Hope it is useful .

Thanks ,
    Jonathan

Trying to seat the new CM Hyper TX2 HSF....

Hello and thanks Jonathan,

According to other wesites, they told me my temps were way to high with the stock intel HSF, so I decided to remove the Stock Intel fan, clean the CPU,and I bought a Coolermaster HYPER TX2 HSF.

BTW...I TOTALLY HATE THOSE DARN PUSH PINS!!!!!!

But, I resign the fact that I am Not a gamer,am not going to overclock,and don't need a super-duper backstrap under the Mobo Cooler for the CPU....in other words,too lazy to remove all and put it all back.

I followed the destructions and positioned the pins correctly,placed the cooler over the CPU,and as I noticed before, how was I going to use a flat screwdriver to tightened the pins on two of the sides,they have that annoying dispersement plastic shield,which is in the darn way!

I thought it would be easy just to push down the pins until they LOCK. I thought THAT was the whole idea.
    I think the Fan separates from the top,but with my luck, I'll snap it off and break something. I've tried to google more deteailed instructions but no luck.

Sooooooooo, that's what I'm up to as of this point. trying to mount this bad boy. Another feature good or bad, is the fan is facing to the side and the picture shows the fan pointed towards the memory slots. I did however buy another 120mm top case fan for extra cooling.

SOOOooooooooooooo, if anyone has a MSI Platinum P-35 Mobo, and a Hyper TX2 HSF...any suggestions would help...

I guess I presumed I would have to use a screwdriver to 'lock' the pins down,where I should just be able to push them down.

Thanks again.

Forget the push pin type.....

I'm sorry for going on about this, I know you all have lives other than helping me, and I could go to the geek squad....oh, jus kidding,but really, I never thought those push pins would be a royal pain in the B%TT!

Ok, This Bozo has had it.

Patience is wearing thin.

I tried to seat the Hyper TX2 Coolermaster HSF about a half dozen times and once I pushed down on two diagonal pins the other would pop out again, and I felt the board pushing down.

And if I have to use that much pressure for these pins..FAGITABOUT! …

I almost went through the small 3.5 Grm tube of Arctic5 Paste.

I should have listen, I know I should have, but this I wanted to be simple….

I mentioned about replacing my stock Intel with a third party universal push pin type HSF. For all your newbies trying this at home…Install to Mobo BEFORE installing your Motherboard…WHAT? I hear some of you saying..” I told you so”..well. your absolutely right on! I have learned my lesson.

So, now the task of removing everything off the board. Pci-E GPU, a few PCI cards, memory,all the Sata,and IDE cables, case led/power/audio leads,etc.,etc.,etc.,.

My so called friend who helped me thre away the static bag for the Mobo, and worse, the protective plastic covers for the Q6600 cpu and the Mainboard cover.

Now that I’m ready to do this, is there any pother precautions? Is installing the backplate and the cooler hard to do for first timers?

I was told that Arctic freezer 7 pro or the Thermalright Ultra XP 120 are good choices. I know this is not rocket science, but I don't want to build a rocket with what little I know.

Here is my Mobo..do you think there are HSF’s that will NOT fit this board? Most applications are for Intel Duo 2 Core will this include the Q6600 Quad

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...tinum&class=mb

Thanks again for all your help!

Zalman 9500 AT

Thanks,
    I bought a ZALMAN CNPS9500 http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=193

yesterday. It looks pretty straight forward..I should have done this in the first place. I have static floating around. I need alot of light to see what I'm doing on the remove,install backplate and reinstall everything else.

Would a Rubber backing rug outside on the patio, on a table be a safe place with shoes on to do this task? I have carpeting throughout the inside of the house, and don't want to fry the CPU. I also would take the cpu, but my friend threw away both protective covers for the CPU and the Mobo (cpu) location.
    I guess I will also invest in a magnetic screwdriver in case I drop the screws loose on the board. I will post when all is up and running. Anything I should know about the install and other static precautions? I do have a static wrist band,but no where to attach the clip to while outside. Thanks.

Zalman HSF Fan direction

Hi all, and thank you!

I bought a ZALMAN CNPS9500 > http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=193

OK, the vinyl Kitchen floor, Formica counter top..fine. Forget waht I said about the patio,rubber backing carpet outside....

Cookie Monster said, "Note: the fan of the 9500 is facing the memory, but it sucks in air so that it creates a "wind tunnel" effect. The air travels through the fins and then to the exhaust fan. "

So, if I place the HSF with the fan blades facing the memory,or towards the front of the case,and the exhaust from the HSF will move warm air to the rear case fan.

I really don't mean to seem stupid here, but when it comes to this, I do appreciate the help..BIG TIME. I did not know that fan sucks in,,I thought it blew out…Thanks again!