Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Philips Divx player available,

Philips Divx player available,

The philips DVP 642 Divx compatible player is out in shops here in Bangalore at Rs. 5999. Getting mine tomorrow ;-)
    AMD Athlon 2600+, Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, 200 GB SATA HDD, 1024MB Kingston RAM, Liteon 12x DVD writer, Geforce 6600 AGP.

yahooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! me getting mine too...glad i have'nt got the pioneer yet

naaa, no xvid support...but divx is more than enough...techhead is gonna be over the moon when he hears this

Just wondering if it will play Xvid's ...

my Divx movies are constantly attracting Spiders for their new home

Phoned a couple of the shops at Lamington road today - no luck I suppose I will have to do some foot work at Lamington road to find this player.

sad

I'd like to backup my dvd's to divx for use with philips DVP 642 and was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions as to which software to use. I have Dr Divx and Imtoo dvd ripper installed but can't decide which one has a better output. For example i'm trying to convert all the Lord of the rings titles into divx for burning onto one dvd while maintaining the best quality. Should i use xvid or divx and what would be the optimum settings in this case. Would be grateful for any advice.
    AMD Athlon 2600+, Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, 200 GB SATA HDD, 1024MB Kingston RAM, Liteon 12x DVD writer, Geforce 6600 AGP.

Hi Folks just ordered my player through a friend of mine working for philips so i get it at employee discount, at Rs. 5166/- ;-)

Will be getting it tomorrow after which i will post a review.

Tachy

FINALLY!!!...got my player
    finished testing it...one word - AWESOME
    this player really lives up to its tagline - "you have it, we play it"
    i tried out the following file formats -
    divx 3, divx 4, divx 5, xvid, wmv, mp3 (cbr, vbr), wma, asf (probs with audio sometimes), dat files, mpg files (it plays them directly,no need to write as vcd)...played all of the above formats with no trouble whatsoever...
    regarding media, i tried out dvd+r,dvd-r,dvd+rw,dvd-rw (some issues),cdr,cdrw,pressed dvd9s...
    can fit in 90-100 music vids in one dvdr!!...or say 2 whole seasons of friends , 6 movies ,1200-1300 mp3z ...the possibilities r endless
    i got it for 5700....the dealer had 3 more...he said availability is no prob...one year on-site warranty....
    my tv does not support progressive scan nor svideo, so i had to use composite....even then the quality is %&^&^% awesome...any properly encoded divx (atleast 800kbps bitrate) looks as good as a pressed dvd...
    xvids look slightly better than divx's....atleast i thought so.....

now for the cons (very few n too minor) -
    1)supports only ff upto 8x.....very slow

2)no ff/rewind for divx/xvid!!...this is the biggest flaw according to me..can be irritating at times...esp. while watching hindi divx's, i hate watching hindi songs :pooh: ....hopefully this will be fixed in a fw update... ??

final words - get urs asap ...i would recommend this without any hesitation...btw techhead, specwise it is better than the 366s...24 bit audio DAC, 4x multi-sampling...

guyz, need some help...there's no fun watching dvd's using the tv speakers...so can i attach my inspire 5200 5.1 to the player??...if yes, plzz tell how...
    i can attach those speakers to the player and then i wanna get the atp3 for my pc

Hi Guys, i just got my player too like Apollyon said it rocks !!! Played everything i threw at it, haven't tried dvd-r's as yet but xvids seem to play really well.

I was a lil disappointed with the 8x ffwd since my old philips 729k has 20x otherwise it's superb. It has an optical or digital output so it should be possible to attach the inspire speakers too.

Tachy

24 bit 192KHz DAC in mine too, so audio DAC is the same. I made a small mistake earlier, the 12 bit DAC is for video, not for audio.
    Still, sounds amazing. I wish I could get one
    X2 4200+ @ 2.5Ghz
    DFI SLI-DR Expert
    2GB Micron DDR400
    X850 XTPE
    Antec NeoHE 500W
    840GB HDD space
    Viewsonic vx2025wm
    X-Fi XM

Quote Originally Posted by TechHead
    Me going to Opera House today, to buy a new TV for a friend. I'll check there and update this thread.
    And ME sitting here waiting for you to tell me where to get it at Opera House.

Did you guys know that a Draft I deposited is going to take a week to clear... deposited on 29th .... 30th Bank annual closing so they are not working.... 1st Oct one working day .... 2nd Oct Holiday .... 3rd Oct Holiday.... 4th Oct second working day..... so Bank says Draft will get cleared on 5th Oct. THIS SUX BIG TIME !!!
    Last edited by richard; 01-10-2004 at 01:55 PM.

but in the tech specs it says it cannot play dvd-r's..

and subtitles? does it have good subtitle performance? I love watching my movies with subs (most of them are foreign), so it'll be absolutely no use to me if it doesnt support .srt and .sub files at least.

Quote Originally Posted by richard
    Phoned a couple of the shops at Lamington road today - no luck I suppose I will have to do some foot work at Lamington road to find this player.
    NOW I am NOT going to look at this thread any more - I went to Lamington road and spent my money on some other junk. So no money left for this Philips player. I asked many shops at Lamington road but no luck. So I bought a APC UPS and a Rishab Digital Multimeter - saw a Fluke for 8k way beyond my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by leftyworkin
    but in the tech specs it says it cannot play dvd-r's..

and subtitles? does it have good subtitle performance? I love watching my movies with subs (most of them are foreign), so it'll be absolutely no use to me if it doesnt support .srt and .sub files at least.
    naaaa, it plays dvd-r's just finee....n there is support for .srt n .sub files too...n update guys, i was wrong, the player DOES support ff n rewind in divx n xvid movies....i was just using the wrong buttons heheheeee....
    n also a new prob..it cannot play the audio part of xvids with vbr audio

I dont have the player apollyon but this guy here says this
    Quote kachnickab,
    HOWEVER, subtitles saved in the .srt format do work with the subtitle button but only after you select the file from the menu. No, it doesn't work by just pressing the subtitle button. It certainly isn't automatic. Read the manual and you'll see the same instructions unless you're talking about a different model.
    Also can u post the avg read time for divx and mp3 discs ......Btw if .srt dont work then rename the .srt file as same as the .avi file. I guess .idx and . sub dont work.

For .sub files u can use subrip http://zuggy.wz.cz/ to convert .sub files to .srt.

supersoulfighter

hi everyone..stumbled upon this forum by chance. I'm from bombay and have been divx'ing for a few years now since the time of flask and divx 311. now i use gknot and was waiting for a player for a long time. i am choosy so i don't have too many movies but i do have about 300 which are really good movies and all of them are 100% quality rips. a friend of mine got the phillips dvp 642 about a month ago here in bombay for 6k. apparently vijay sales is getting it now for about 4-4.5k and my electronics vendor has promised it for less. i tested all my divx movies on his player and had no issues whatsoever. however just under 50 of my movies are in xvid and i had a problem playing nearly all of those . i will be getting the player in about a week and i'd appreciate it if anyone could provide any more info on xvid playback.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast