Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard disk Price Reviews

mlnunes Guest
    n wat about the Maxtor drives?
    anyone used those?

Quote Originally Posted by QuickFire
    n wat about the Maxtor drives?
    anyone used those?
    I have 3 Maxtors in my computer a 120 and 160GB SATA's and a 250GB PATA. They are very fast. Maxtor drives too have a 5 year warranty.

I have had 2 Maxtor 120GB's SATA die on me one was after 8 months of use and next was after 7 months. The replacement was couriered direct to me from Banglore and it took 2 weeks.

I have been looking a lot at HDD's these days at XBitlabs and at Storagereview and I have concluded that the drive to buy are the Hitachi's. They seem to have the best reputaton.

Check out the attached survey on the worst drives....

EDIT: Maxtor have Response centers in Banglore Delhi and Mumbai
    Last edited by richard; 04-02-2005 at 05:51 PM.

mlnunes Guest
    hmm..maxtor are 2nd in the worst list

never used maxtor recently (last time i had one was 2.5 years back where it conked off after 6 months) never really cared for them

my pref is for western digital but its a bit expensive here

seagate is ok nothing really to say about it

of course everyone has his/her opinions and no drive is completely failsafe so better hope you are lucky when you get your drive

I seem to have quite a bit of good luck with Samsung drives. I am using a Samsung 20 GB drive since 1998 and not a single bad sector till date. Another Samsung 80 GB is also running with 0 bad sectors. A few Seagtes have created problems during this period. A few bad sectors have developed though the drives are working.

As far as HDDs are concerned, I am ready to give up a bit of performance for reliability. That's why I never liked RAID.
    My Main Computer
    P4 2.4C, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, Zalman Alcu7000A HSF, 2X256 MB Crucial and 2X256 MB Corsair DDR 400 RAM, Radeon 9500 Pro, LOGITECH MX 510 mouse, Antec Smartpower 350 watts, Seagate and Samsung 7200 rpm HDD-80 GB each, SyncMaster 763MB monitor, Samsung CD writer, Altec Lansing ATP 3 speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickFire
    hmm..maxtor are 2nd in the worst list
    I KNOW !!! I KNOW !!! ... and I have 3 of them.... and I have 2 dead IBM's which died after warranty expired - one died 2 weeks back.

I dont know abt it much -- but i never ever suggest external Storage rather than Network Attached storage. All these case's are just bull****-- i have tried all Bloody chinese too the MAxtor External HDD's -- all give Write behind error sooner or Later & may have a Corrupt Data. i think its Windows FLAW -- as it gave me Surprisinlgy Good Results & apparently no Corruptions when i used it with Linux

mlnunes Guest
    okay...will get a seagate then...
    since hitachi won't be available at my place, i think...

Quote Originally Posted by mehargags
    I dont know abt it much -- but i never ever suggest external Storage rather than Network Attached storage. All these case's are just bull****-- i have tried all Bloody chinese too the MAxtor External HDD's -- all give Write behind error sooner or Later & may have a Corrupt Data. i think its Windows FLAW -- as it gave me Surprisinlgy Good Results & apparently no Corruptions when i used it with Linux
    That is a problem then
    Did you try with "Enable Write Caching on this Disk" checkbox cleared?

And secondly, if you say it is the fault of Windows then why are you cursing the drives?
    My Main Computer
    P4 2.4C, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, Zalman Alcu7000A HSF, 2X256 MB Crucial and 2X256 MB Corsair DDR 400 RAM, Radeon 9500 Pro, LOGITECH MX 510 mouse, Antec Smartpower 350 watts, Seagate and Samsung 7200 rpm HDD-80 GB each, SyncMaster 763MB monitor, Samsung CD writer, Altec Lansing ATP 3 speaker.

i never curse the drives -- i just suggested not to rely on these Externel Solutions completely--.

i both 2* seagate 160gb in JAn....frst week..... for 4275 a piece.... from L-road...... hmm delhi is cheaper.. than mumbai....... but why is that so... cause even now the price is around 4300 at lamington road..

Quote Originally Posted by godzi_85
    ..... hmm delhi is cheaper.. than mumbai....... but why is that so... ..
    On the basis of the price list posted by mehargags here and the Delta, Chennai prices posted elsewhere on this forum I found that I had paid 500/- more for each of my 2 Maxtor drives which I purchased within the last week from my supplier at Lamigton Road of the last 10 years or so.

I had a big dood dah with the supplier but he is adament that the prices he charged me are the correct prices prevailing in Mumbai. NOT GOOD !!!

hi

any idea about the prices of the hitachi HDDs.

heard only about their reputation . what about warranty, prices and avalibility
    ??

prying eyes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by richard
    I have 3 Maxtors in my computer a 120 and 160GB SATA's and a 250GB PATA. They are very fast. Maxtor drives too have a 5 year warranty.
    Not all maxtor drives have 5 year and warranty differs worldwide too.

MAXTOR INCREASES HARD DISK DRIVE WARRANTY PERIOD TO 5 YEARS FOR CHANNEL PARTNERS IN INDIA

NEW DELHI, India, December 23, 2004 ─Maxtor Corporation (NYSE: MXO), a worldwide leader in hard disk drives and consumer storage products, announced a five-year warranty period for all internal (non-retail) PC and server hard drives shipped to its distributors for sale in India. The new warranty period, effective on product shipped on or after January 1, 2005, provides Maxtor’s customers in India with an unsurpassed level of warranty protection. It is valid only for warranty services with Maxtor’s in-country service centres.
    # Maxtor branded retail hard drive kits will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year.
    # Maxtor external hard drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year, with the exception of the Maxtor Personal Storage 3000LS and PS3100 drives, which have a Standard Warranty Period of 90 days in North America.

enriqjames Guest

Re: Hard disk Price Reviews

To this end, I had to get an external hard drive. It took me some time to study and met some of my favorite. Some hard drive, really thin, the best on the move, because they are so small, but these hard drives have a little more memory than my current hard drive, this is not going to last me long.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast