Thread: After Xp Starts, Keyboard N Mouse Stop Working?

After Xp Starts, Keyboard N Mouse Stop Working?

Hi,
    I edited the XP Home Edition SP2, registry in two places. Immediately afterwards, my pc seemed to boot normally, but the mouse and keyboard became non-responsive, as if they weren't present. Hard to compute without input devices, LOL l I can make changes in the BIOS setup area and then once Windows starts, I can look at the desktop.

To complicate the issue, Windows stopped recognizing the CD-RW and DVD drives the day before (unrelated to the KB/mouse prob), so those are unusable. The floppy works, and I have an additional non-working PC (both Dells with XP Home, WDC HDDs).

Is it possible to open regedit from a command prompt before XP starts so I can unedit what I shouldn't have edited. If so, how? Or, can I install HDD #2 as the master, make HDD#1 the slave, boot from HDD#2 and then somehow access HDD#1 to get to regedit in #1?

I've tried booting in safe mode, and safe mode with logging(?) I read the system messages in the BIOS setup, and it reported a keyboard failure. Is that significant? (It's a working keyboard). I changed the mouse from a PS2 to a USB connection. No difference. Windows even recognzed the new mouse and installed the drivers automatically after one of the useless boots. The mouse still didn't work, though. Can I make a start-up floppy that would take me to a command prompt? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. At this point, I'm willing to try almost anythng reasonable. Thanks

Re: After Xp Starts, Keyboard N Mouse Stop Working?

You didn't make a bakup copy of the registry before you edited? There may be changes there you are not even aware of needing fixing.

To answer the question, no, I didn't. But even if I had, it wouldn't be accessible. Unless I'd backed up to a floppy. Good point though about other changes. Yikes.

The answer to your question is yes:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

Have fun at the Recovery Console.

hmmmm recovery console.... if u have the bootable winxp cd.. run a repair....

dont get to the recovery console just yet it can be a lil confusng,,, go to the fresh install screen and there when it recognizes an existing winxp os it will as you whether u want to repair/upgrade or do a fresh install.. then choose repar.. all ur installed files will remain the same but the sytem files etc wll be refreshed.... so taht shld solve ur problem....
    Last edited by Cerebral Assasin; 31-03-2006 at 02:54 PM.