Thread: What hardware is needed to build a Steam machine

What hardware is needed to build a Steam machine

What is the best hardware configuration to make a steam machine. Something that can be ideal for gaming only. I am not looking for a very high hardware configuration. Something that can fit in my budget. I had not yet decided but I am trying to accumulate as money. I will sell my old pc that will add more the total amount and then I am going to build a steam machine. I want a system dedicated for lan gaming and that is not possible in the regular one. a stream machine would be similarly different type of system for lan stuff and for that we need to find the exactly right kind of hardware.

Re: What hardware is needed to build a Steam machine

Hi Priceless,

I would like to add a word to help in build of PC. Here are some options for you.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor.

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory.

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive.

Secondary: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard
    Drive.

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card.

I believe these components are best for gaming based on your budget. Also, this configuration allows for overclocking, as long as you have a stable power supply and a good case. In build, MOBO is support to SLI and CrossFire technology that means in future you can add-on a second GPU card for performance, instead of buying a new MOBO or replacing a totally new GPU. The GeForce GTX 660 2GB is better in terms of performance, mostly used for gaming and stability in pixels and with that you can enjoy better graphics. I choose SSD as primary storage and WD Blue or WD Black as secondary storage because during system process, you’ll be constantly saving and rendering directly from the HDD. For LAN gaming you can also add the extra Ethernet card on MOBO because MOBO is especially recommend for gaming.
    For better performance and for life of your system, you just add a good casing for PC and combine with a liquid cooling system on it.

Good luck.

Steam machine is just like any other gaming machine. Here the thing that matters a lot is the configuration. Because if that is not proper then you wont be able to run games as per your need. There are good amount of hardware stuff available that you can go with building a good machine. Like if you need something extreme hen going for Core i7-4770 or Core i5-4570 cpu will be good enough. There are some good Core i3 models also but there you have to find out the benchmarking reports to find which is the best one. You can go for gpu like Nvidia's GeForce GTX Titan or 780 or even lover series. But not lower than 660.

To build a decent steam machine it is essential to look the overall hardware. Because here when it comes to steam machine then we are talking about extreme gaming pc. So here you must stick with Core i5-4670Ks or even higher cpu. That can be Core i7-4770Ks. This one will be quiet costly but good enough for gaming stuff. Then comes the motherboard. It is essential to use a SSD drive in it so that your game wont lag or freeze. There are ample of configs on the web that you can try out. And you will be getting a set of good custom build systems. Along with this it is also essential to locate the hardware in your local shop.