Thread: Western Digital Caviar Black access time problem

Western Digital Caviar Black access time problem

I am using a Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive that I bought recently. I have found that it has problems with access time between 18 and 20ms. The trasfer rate is still good though. I didnt expect this issue with the hard drive being a black model since most of the other models of the series are around 10-11ms. Because of this bad access time the loading time of Windows is also slow. Is there anyone else with the same drive who has noticed same problem? Thanks

Re: Western Digital Caviar Black access time problem

Have you tried to use a different Sata cable and checked if your Western Digital Caviar Black drive is giving the same problem? You can even try to run a Data Lifeguard Diagnostic test and see if there is any hardware issue. This is a Windows version of the Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. It will test WD internal and external drives. In additional, it can provide you with the model and serial of WD drives attached to the system. You can download it from this link - http://download.wdc.com/windlg/WinDlg_v1_27.zip?v=7800

It seems to me that you will have to check the power management in Windows or the BIOS menu as well to see what all options are on and which ones are off. Can you try to set the Turn off disk option to never and also if it is possible then check the SNMART status with Crystal Diskinfo. Other than that you can also try to use another Sata cable or else test the drive in some other computer and see if it is behaving normally or giving the same problem as usual.

Download a tool called HD Tune to test your hard drive. It is a comprehensive utility designed to optimize the use of your hard drive and gives you tools so you can correct the malfunction or failure which cause loss of data on your computer. HD Tune has tools to analyze the status and performance of your disk such as temperature, transfer rate, CPU utilization, the rate of data transmission from the "bus" (set of connections that connect your computer hardwares while operating), among others. In addition, this application reads the SMART attributes that are generated, which is relevant to the "health" of the unit information.