Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 25-04-2014

WD My Passport 3.0 external drive randomly disconnects

I am having some issues with my WD My Passport hard drive. It always keeps randomly disconnecting and reconnecting again and again and because of this problem I am not able to transfer files properly. I am having only 1 usb 2.0 port and 1 usb 3.0 port. When I plug it in their respective ports then I am facing random diconnection of the drive but when I plug it in usb 2.0 port then I can transfer files but at 2.0 speed only. So, therefore I am looking for a solution to this issue now. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks
Old 26-04-2014

Re: WD My Passport 3.0 external drive randomly disconnects

Have you tried to update the driver for your computers usb controller to the latest one and checked if the problem gets solved. If not then you can go into control panel and set power settings to maximum performance. You can also go into Control Panel and prevent Windows from suspending the external drive. Or else go to the USB Controller Properties and then uncheck the option for "allow computer to turn this device off to save power" and see if that works.
Old 26-04-2014

Can you try to test the drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows and see the output:
  1. Download Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics. An extraction utiltiy such as WinZip may be needed to extract the files from the compressed folder.
  2. Run the program, windlg.exe. If the computer is running Windows 8, 7, or Vista, Right-click on the windlg.exe file and select Run As Administrator.
  3. Read and accept the license agreement to continue.
  4. On the main program screen, there are two windows. In the top window, the drives in your system that are available for testing will be seen. The model number, serial number, and capacity of each drive will be displayed. In the bottom window, the partition information for the selected drive will be displayed.
More information is given on this link - http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940
Old 24-05-2014

I was also having the same issue. When I contacted their support team, they said that they are going to send me a new usb cable. I am thinking that this is a power loss problem with the usb 3.0 or else it could be an issue with the fresco logic driver 3.5.24.0. There was also a fix for this problem, Fresco Logic Tech Support had sent many people the below registry file which should solve the issue, I havent tried myself, so cannot be sure if it works or not:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_8d...Z1WUNpUVk/edit

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , , ,