Thread: AMD Radeon HD 7950 black screen bug on Windows 7

AMD Radeon HD 7950 black screen bug on Windows 7

AMD Radeon 7000 series has a black screen issue. I had commonly seen this issue in three different pc. My friend is using a 3TB edition of AMD Radeon HD 7950. It is a high end card and it must work fine. But it is giving out black screen. This is really weird. I had seen on some online forums also user are complaining about this. I hope there will be some solution for that. Is it a driver problem or a hardware issue in the gpu itself.

Re: AMD Radeon HD 7950 black screen bug on Windows 7

Can be a driver issue. Whatever gpu that fall in the 7000 series has this problem. I am using a 6000 series which works really well. Just for testing purpose I had borrowed my friend graphic card. Which is 7700. The card woks really amazing on dual monitor but there is a weird issue with the output. The system once in sleep mode takes a long time to give display. It is really annoying to wait back for the screen to appear finally.

It can be a driver bug I think. I was getting a similar issue on Catalyst 12.4. After update there was huge problem with the output. The graphic quality was not as expected. then I switched to 12.6 Beta which was good and worked nice. Later on I installed the much newer edition and still the problem continuous. I had remove the latest one and using 12.6Beta. I am able to play games on it without poor screen quality continuously for long time.

I had seen the problem. When you leave the pc aside it goes in sleep mode. And when you hit the keys on keyboard the monitor lights up but there is no display. After few minutes the monitor is again black and there is no output. So this means the problem is with the gpu itself and it only occur when the system is in sleep mode. I hope there will be a update fix for that. You can report the bug to amd. They might deliver more updates for the same.

I was getting the issue. I thought this was due to gpu overheating. But it resolved automatically. I just have to kit the start menu keys for few time and the screen on the top appear back. I had checked the gpu temperature also which shows at a reasonable point. I do not really think this is a hardware issue. It can be something with the video driver. Because the system is unable to get back from sleep mode.

In my case the ram was problematic. I am having a dual gpu setup on my system. Both belong to amd 6000 series. Both of them are a year old. I was not able to wake the system back from sleep mode. My friend recommended to test the ram. He used a memtest cd with that and found a few errors. I was having around 3 ram stick. I removed the faulty one and the system started working fine. The output is nice and fast and no long the system failed to start from sleep.

My system takes around 30 seconds to start. It is due to the gpu. I am having a AMD 4870 gpu. It is mid range card. I was having a heating problem on that. I cleaned up the graphic card by removing the fan and other stuff. And it worked. But the gpu takes really long time to give out the display. After cleaning the time was reduced to 30 seconds. So here it can be due to the gpu itself. It the graphic card is taking long time to start take it to the service center.

Try to reconfigure the power settings and see whether it works or not. You can go in Windows 7 Control Panel and manage the power settings. That will be more helpful in fixing the issue. I had resolve slow sleep issue on my system after making changes in the power settings. I am not having a gpu but still my system is working really fine and is not having any problem. Just verify that and check once again.

What you can do is switch the pci slot of the graphic card. There are around 2 or 3 in a board depending on the model. Change the card slow and check back. This will help you in getting a proper display on the screen. Update the drivers only when required. Always keep the backup of all drivers. In Windows you have option to roll back old drivers if the new one is not working. You can do that through Device Manager.

In same case only the sleep mode will be slow. Most of the time it is going to work fine. Checking power management settings will help you more. But if that does not work then the second thing is testing the ram as mentioned above. And at last the gpu. Most of the gpu works really well. You can use Windows Driver Verifier to find out the problem with hardware. For that type verifier /? in cmd.