Thread: Performance of Rasperry PI for video editing work

Performance of Rasperry PI for video editing work

Rasperry PI is the smallest and cheapest pc available in the market. I was watching a video on youtube where I saw a person testing Rasperry PI. It works really well. I am looking for performance details. How much output it can give. Like if I go for few of them for a school will it work with Office apps, a bit image editing and video editing also. This will be the most cheapest upgrade for me. But I don't want to spend on slow computers.

Re: Performance of Rasperry PI for video editing work

Rasperry PI are ideal for learning purpose. They come loaded with a Linux OS. They are low in hardware configuration. You cannot expect much from them. This models are designed for self testing purpose. I will not recommend this for video editing.Better go for full size desktop.

Rasperry PI is a ready to use pc for those who wants to build up their own projects. Ideally I will not recommend you to use it for educational stuff. It has minimal hardware and it will not be able to fulfill your requirements. For teaching purpose you can go for cheaper systems like Dual Core. You can buy them in bulk and you will get reasonable solution for the same. There are ample of desktop on web which comes in budget price and they will be good for teaching purpose. Because anyhow you are going to use videos, you will need a good size monitor also and some applications which will work. Rasperry PI is not able to give you that much output. It works on Linux os which has limitation of applications. Better go with a full fledged desktop system. This would be far more better investment. And you have option to upgrade those system in future also.

I also do not consider Rasperry PI as a decent system for day to day usage. I think you can go for notebook which are more cheaper. Connect them to a pc monitor and use them. If you go for cheap system then you will face performance issue.

If you need something in budget then going for custom build is a good choice. There you have chances of choosing hardware as per your need. Like for the motherboard processor you can go with combo motherboard. There are many available. This combo board comes with a apu which is enough strong to give you day to day work and a bit of gaming also. By adding 4GB ram and a good hard drive is more than enough to work with the system. I had tested a few combo boards by Gigabyte. It is really amazing and powerful. Buy adding a cheap cpu case will make your system ready. So go ahead on any popular shopping website and search for a combo motherboard. You can use the same on your system which will deliver a good output and decent performance. If you go for separate hardware then that will be costly.