Thread: Constant scan and fix error on 500GB external hard drive

Constant scan and fix error on 500GB external hard drive

Whenever I connect my 500GB external hard drive to my laptop I am getting a scan and fix message on the screen. It keeps on coming up each time. First it came so I formatted my hard drive. The drive looks to be working fine. I hope there is no serious issue. Because I keep all my data backup in it. Does the problem lies with the usb port. I am using it on a usb hub on which more devices are connected.

Re: Constant scan and fix error on 500GB external hard drive

Looks like some issue with the file system. Scan it whenever needed. Keep your important data on multiple places so that if there is any serious issue you can atleast restore it instantly. You can keep a copy in your pc also.

Update usb drivers in your system. You can download a new edition from web. You can also get the same via Windows Update. Format the drive properly first and then copy our data. Try to use NTFS file partition. I got the same issue on my pen drive each time when I try to insert it in my pc. After few couple of months it stopped working. The problem was with my friends who were using it. They do not eject it from Windows, they just pull it out from the hub without ticking on safely remove pen drive icon on system tray. Due to which I first started getting the errors and then it kept on increasing. The drive was also getting slow day by day. Sometime if you remove the drive without click on safely remove hardware you face this kind of problem. Second thing you can do is run chkdsk to find out hardware errors. For that you will need to run certain commands in cmd. Launch cmd and in that type CH to change the directory. Type CH E: where E is the drive letter. Then in that type chkdsk and hit enter. If there is any hardware issue you will get the information in the log report in the end.

I think this type of issue appear if your drive is not properly formatted. Windows find some issue with the external storage and give out error. You can simply run the scan each time when it ask. That would resolve the problem.

I found one solution on Google and I think that might help you. First insert the usb drive. Right click on the Recycle bin and empty it first. Then go in Folder Option and enable view hidden files. Go in your ush and delete the recycle bin folder. That's all. Set the old settings back. I had tried this on a 4GB where it worked and has no issue. But if this does not resolve the problem then the issue lies with caching. You will need to disable caching to resolve the problem. Windows gives you message if it finds some error in the file system. If you want to ignore the error then there is a option available to disable it. For that just type msconfig in Start menu and go to services. In that look for Shell Hardware Detection. Remove the tick from it. Then in the same Start Menu type Services. Inside that look for same Shell Hardware Detection and right click on it. Stop the service. Reboot your pc and then check back.