Thread: Not able to udate Western digital external hard drive firmware

Not able to udate Western digital external hard drive firmware

I have been using a Western digital external hard drive since three months and I dint had any issue with it by now. Today when I tried updating its firmware using WD Firmware Updater 3.1.0.11, then I am getting an error message saying "The specified drive is in use. Please Click Exit, then close all other applications and run the WD Firmware updater again."
    I am quite sure that WD Firmware Updater is the only software that is using the drive. I don’t think I am missing anything. Does that mean there is something wrong with the external hard drive???

Re: Not able to udate Western digital external hard drive firmware

I don’t think so. Just make sure that there are no other programs running in the background while you run the WD Firmware Updater. I am not that sure but I guess there is some program running in background and interfering with the firmware update process. In case you have your antivirus or other security program on then you can turn them off for that while as well. WD Firmware Updater should be the standalone program running in your system.
    If you get the same error message again then you can revert back to me for further help.

I have turned off the antivirus already and there are no programs running in the background as well. I have tried running the WD Firmware Updater many times but I keep getting the same error message again and again. Other than that I have tried restarting my system and reinstalling WD Firmware Updater a couple of times but no luck.
    It seems as if there is something wrong with the drive, I have two Western digital external hard drives and I did not had any issue in updating firmware of the first drive. I had updated it a couple of days ago.

I still don’t doubt your external hard drive, anyways just try unplugging and plugging it again and cross check if its firmware gets updated after that.

Just cross check and make sure that below services are turned off:
    WDDMService.
    "C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WDDMService.exe"
    WDFMEService.
    "C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WDFME.exe"
    WDRulesService
    "C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WDRulesEngine.exe"

Worked like a charm, the services you have mentioned above were running. I had just closed the applications that were listed under processes tab in Task manager. I had not gone through the “Services” tab, don’t know why I dint got the same error while updating the firmware of the other external hard drive. However, I am happy that I have fixed the issue in my case, thanks for your help.